Insurance recommendation but Single skin wooden door, secure lock?

Started by petercharlesfagg, June 30, 2015, 07:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

Following the advice of another of our members, I have taken out an insurance policy with Magnet Insurance.

The person I spoke to suggests that I try and fit a deadlock to the door but it is only a single skin door with bracing.

If I put one of those designed for sheds, etc. then a decent sledge hammer will splinter the door around the lock which is rather waste of money?

I was thinking along the lines of a mild steel sheet on the inside with through Coach bolts and an Aluminium strip on the door jamb with a cut out for the lock jaw?

I already have (2) Padlocks, one with a bolt and the other with a hasp but they are not the best design of padlock!

Does anyone else have a suggestion that is not as expensive?

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

austinbob

Where is the door located Peter? Your house - a shed - garage?
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

zwilnik

From the insurance point of view, breaking the door with a sledgehammer becomes breaking and entering, so it's insured. If you've not got the 'proper' rated lock on it, then it's not suitably protected.

Generally speaking, if they're going to B&E, sheds are pretty easy to get into even without going through the door. The point is, once you stop them simply taking the lock off with bolt cutters, most of the options make a lot of noise or take a lot of time (or require a helicopter to lift the shed). Which means there's more chance someone will notice them and call the police. A deadbolt lock would force any entry to the shed to be legitimate or risky, so would make it an insurance risk the insurers would be ok with.

Malc

I used a bolt that is fastened onto the door with nuts and bolts. The bolt slides across and drops down over a steel loop that the padlock goes through. The bolts through the door have round domed heads with square shanks that lock into the bolt.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

javlinfaw7

My shed has a deadlock that was fitted by the supplier, recently I accidentally picked up the wrong key and found that it opened it. So far  5 out of 6 Mortice type keys have opened the lock so after 10 years I have changed it.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Malc on June 30, 2015, 08:12:38 PM
I used a bolt that is fastened onto the door with nuts and bolts. The bolt slides across and drops down over a steel loop that the padlock goes through. The bolts through the door have round domed heads with square shanks that lock into the bolt.

I found out the hard way that one should never attach a door bolt with anything that can be unscrewed from the outside :doh: Like Malc's, my current shed has been secured using coach bolts. However, the door has dropped slightly, to the extent that any would be burglar breaking in would find themselves confronted with a bees nest >:D :D

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: austinbob on June 30, 2015, 07:23:28 PM
Where is the door located Peter? Your house - a shed - garage?
:beers:

The door in question is on my workshop and my layout is situated in a third of the space which was originally my showroom.

I forgot to add that the bolts on both the bolt and the hasp are of the non-removable type, you can screw them in but it will be the Devil's own job removing them!

The studio was built to my specifications so that I could continue with my woodturning business so it is constructed very well apart from the door the weakest spot!

[smg id=26603 type=preview align=center caption="017Ca"]  Newly constructed 7 years ago!

[smg id=26604 type=preview align=center caption="DSCF0001 4a"] A closer image of the door.

Peter
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations