!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Work in progress  (Read 954 times)

Offline Dorsetmike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
Work in progress
« on: August 11, 2017, 02:55:44 pm »
Back in 2013  I put together a portable 4'x2' test track using Kato track

Then in 2014 I made a diorama to enter into the NGS AGM

That got dismantled when I moved into this flat just over 2 years ago, all the buildings removed from the board and stuffed in a box.

I made a start on a new layout in the "spare" bedroom, got some of it running, then decided to rip it up and start over. Said spare bedroom was also my main storgae space for all those "I might need that one day" items; that got more than somewhat out of hand as I sorted through numerous other packed boxes, such that now it's an obstacle course getting in and out; so the new layout is on hold!

I then got interested in cassettes and extended the 4x2 test track to about 4x3

that served its purpose but was now too heavy to be considered portable (I'd used a hefty solid plank insted of ply) plus it took up a bit too much space in the narrow lounge, so the extension came off, it was now back to portable. I then dragged out the box with the ex diorama buildings and did a bit of the "lets see how it might look".

This is the current "state of play" I might add, just about everything has been used on previous projects, or been acquired as part of a job lot. I did buy some new rail joiners.

The raised area is on a piece of Celotex 2" foam the front edge shaped to form the slope down to base level. Track layout has been altered to give a bit or operational variety, but in order to get more in Kato track has been replaced by a mixture of Fleischmann and Minitrix points with Peco track.

The back scene was just propped in place mainly to hide some of the surrounding junk. The new backscene has been printed and the foam board to support it has been cut to size, I won't be fitting it as yet as it's easier to work without having to lean over a backscene.

Using cassettes, spurs go to the back corners and a detachable thin plank about 3' long supports a cassette which "plugs in" to the Kato joiners on the spur track; in this pic it is only lodged in place to show basic idea.

The imagined scenario is a small town on a single line somewhere in Southern ex LSWR territory mid 1930s. Local service will be a push pull M7 and a daily pick up/trip freight. there will also be considerable through traffic mainly passenger,  usually 3 to 5 coaches; these we assume have been split from a main line service (typical of SR practice eg Atalantic coast express or Bournemouth/Weymouth/Swanage services)

Still trying to think up a name if posible to reflect the re-use of bits and pieces, failing that something  vaguely Dorset oriented.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online port perran

• Awards
Re: Work in progress
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 03:20:33 pm »
Very nice indeed.
My type of layout with plenty going on.
I'm not good at coming up with names but someone will no doubt come up with something very apt.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 03:58:20 pm »
Interesting to see the 'ebb and flow' of the development, Mike.
How about 'Much Fettling'?

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 04:31:03 pm »
Thanks for starting the list Mick, I was laying awake last night (between loo visits) with various possible names sculling round the think tank, drew a complete blank!
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 08:20:41 pm »
Thanks for starting the list Mick, I was laying awake last night (between loo visits) with various possible names sculling round the think tank, drew a complete blank!

Then 'Much Piddling' comes to mind :laugh:

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 08:31:04 pm »
Almost relevant - seeing as there is a River Piddle in Dorset, and villages like Piddle Hinton and Piddletrenthide (from Domesday book - 30 hides of land on the river Piddle). The Victorians tried changing things by renaming some places such as Affpuddle, Puddletown, Bryants Puddle and Turners Puddle, there's now a Piddle brewery! (& I'm not taking the piddle either)

http://www.piddlebrewery.co.uk/
Cheers MIKE

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 09:44:16 pm »
As it's small, how about Just Piddlin?
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 03:13:45 pm »
Just spent a couple of hours covering bare wood and some other surfaces with 240 grit paper where I want tarmac surfaces, roads and platforms etc. Leave that to dry for an hour or two then start thinking about planting station building, goods shed and small single road engine shed. Follow that with some Ratio SR precast concrete walls.

When the "viewing" side is a bit nearer finished I'll have to turn the whole thing round to get at the "control" side, also up end it to get at the wiring make sure that hasn't suffered while the other work has been ongoing; if all is well thern try some test running to make sure clearances at platform edges etc are OK. The control panel will be detachable, help keep the weight down

When that's all sorted it'll be time to fettle some of the buildings, most of the chimney pots are DIY efforts from plastic tube, they will get replaced by cast ones from Peedie &/or Scalelink; followed by a bit of gardening, some of the greenery is getting a bit tatty. Final job will be the back/sidescene and low relief buildings along the back.

I'm going to try making the back and side scenes detachable for transport, weight and posible damage considerations; one thought is to fix the low relief buildings to the bottom of the back scene and have dowels fixed under them to slot into holes.
Cheers MIKE

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 12:48:37 am »
Just spent a couple of hours covering bare wood and some other surfaces with 240 grit paper where I want tarmac surfaces, roads and platforms etc. Leave that to dry for an hour or two then start thinking about planting station building, goods shed and small single road engine shed. Follow that with some Ratio SR precast concrete walls.

When the "viewing" side is a bit nearer finished I'll have to turn the whole thing round to get at the "control" side, also up end it to get at the wiring make sure that hasn't suffered while the other work has been ongoing; if all is well thern try some test running to make sure clearances at platform edges etc are OK. The control panel will be detachable, help keep the weight down

When that's all sorted it'll be time to fettle some of the buildings, most of the chimney pots are DIY efforts from plastic tube, they will get replaced by cast ones from Peedie &/or Scalelink; followed by a bit of gardening, some of the greenery is getting a bit tatty. Final job will be the back/sidescene and low relief buildings along the back.

I'm going to try making the back and side scenes detachable for transport, weight and posible damage considerations; one thought is to fix the low relief buildings to the bottom of the back scene and have dowels fixed under them to slot into holes.

Sounds like good progress Mike,

Got any piccy's for us layout junkies?

Graham, needing a pic fix.
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 12:33:11 pm »
Graham, it's not really photogenic at the moment, the 240 grit is still a dark red awaiting paint and dotted with pins and weights heavy tools, cans and jars holding it down, also some walls held by more pins whilst glue sets; hopefully more work this afternoon,for now I'm going through 5 forums, emails and a bit of Amazon & Ebay browsing. Need to hunt for my sheet of "enamel adverts"  to scatter round some of the walls, which have been salvaged  from a previous layout and need a few blemishes covering.

Who said Sunday's a day of rest???????????
Cheers MIKE

Offline Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 10:03:18 pm »
Applied paint to the 240grit, will need a second coat tomorrow when this one's well dry. Meantime I made up some more adverts for sticking on walls and buildings, anybody familiar with the run from Waterloo to Southampton, Bournemouth in bygone days may remember the Strong & Co brewery hoardings along the line, after much Googling I found an alost suitable image of one, but it had a Spam can on it which ain't right for the 1930s, so I've replaced the Spam can with a Lord Nelson and a rake of Maunsells and edited the wording to make all 3 versions that I remember "You're Going to the", You're Approaching the" and "You're in the"  across the top and "Strong Country" across the bottom. Then sized down and copied to give  36 ads on an A4 label

I also printed out another page of old style enamel ads

The wall mentioned earlier now has the various abrasions and paint splodges covered.

If you want to download either or both of those pages feel free, just right click the image and select copy image from the pop up menu. The Strong ads are 21mm high and you might have difficulty using 36 on a small or medium size layout, open them in an image/photo editing software and copy half a dozen then replace some of the ads on the enamel ads sheet.

The labels I use are these, ideal for brick, stone and other Scalescenes sheets as well as these ads.

https://www.labelplanet.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=EL1/H

The wall was made from 12mmx2mm plastic "lipping" (12mm scales approx 6') covered in brick with a course of blue brick at the top (Scalescenes with a strip of colour)  The lipping comes in 8' lengths so easy to make a long wall with no joins, joins in the brick paper can be disguised if necessary by adding piers, square section plastic strip covered in brick paper, or use one of them adverts.

[/url]

The "lip" at the bottom gives a bigger area for glue and can be disguised by some Metcalfe or similar paving or scatter if you want grass or weeds.

Photos tomorrow pm all being well
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:06:39 pm by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 07:32:58 am »
Ah, yes, I remember the Strong Country very well.

:thankyousign: for the construction tips Mike, very helpful.  :beers:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 07:50:57 am »
Lots going on here!!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 10:26:26 am »
brilliant

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 11:21:21 am »
Great stuff.
I really like the period advertisements - particularly the Strong Country ones.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything