Tornado The 100mph Steam Engine

Started by themadhippy, August 07, 2017, 09:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themadhippy

QuoteCameras following the fortunes of new A1 class steam engine Tornado as it tries to achieve 100mph on the main line, a secret attempt made in the middle of the night.
bbc4  an hour ago :-[ now watching on catchup,followed by the return of the flying sotsman
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

RailGooner

Late start tomorrow - I should be able to find an hour (?) to watch this. :beers:

Philip.

RailGooner

Repeated at 1 am Tuesday 8th and again followed by The Return of Flying Scotsman at 1:30 am. :claphappy:

Mike Hamilton

I'm saving the Tornado programme for a few days, but watched the Flying Scotsman one on Tuesday night.
The best bit to my mind about the Scotsman programme wasn't so much as people getting all misty eyed and nostalgic, but the bit where it showed the sign writer chap painting the locos numbering.  A real joy to see essentially a dying art form being done so wonderfully well.
"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde

BoxTunnel

Quote from: hillside on August 10, 2017, 09:42:03 AM
I'm saving the Tornado programme for a few days, but watched the Flying Scotsman one on Tuesday night.
The best bit to my mind about the Scotsman programme wasn't so much as people getting all misty eyed and nostalgic, but the bit where it showed the sign writer chap painting the locos numbering.  A real joy to see essentially a dying art form being done so wonderfully well.

I've just watched both and the highlight of the Flying Scotsman programme was indeed, as you said, the chap painting the numbers.  I thought the over-enthusiastic commentary about "the world's most loved train" blah blah was frankly silly.  However, the Tornado documentary was excellent - did you notice that the Geordie lad driving the Tornado was also on the footplate of the Flying Scotsman?

Graham, thinking how he can fit the Tornado into the West Country.
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Mike Hamilton

Quote from: BoxTunnel on August 13, 2017, 12:59:54 AM

I've just watched both and the highlight of the Flying Scotsman programme was indeed, as you said, the chap painting the numbers.  I thought the over-enthusiastic commentary about "the world's most loved train" blah blah was frankly silly.  However, the Tornado documentary was excellent - did you notice that the Geordie lad driving the Tornado was also on the footplate of the Flying Scotsman?

I've still not seen the Tornado programme.  Events rather overtook us over the weekend, so I'll save it for a "special day".  I'll keep an eye out for the Geordie lad.
"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde

pape_timmo

Tornado did run to Penzance a couple of months ago....
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Train Waiting

That's Driver Steve Hanczar.  If you look carefully you will see Inspector Jim Smith is on both workings as well.  Both are Gentleman and Engineman.

Keeping steam alive!

Best wishes.

John

:A1Tornado:
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

port perran

Quote from: pape_timmo on August 14, 2017, 05:06:08 PM

And magnificent she looked as she crept into Penzance station.
Also worked 4 or 5 days on the Bodmin and Wenford railway :

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

RailGooner

Quote from: port perran on August 14, 2017, 07:27:34 PM
Quote from: pape_timmo on August 14, 2017, 05:06:08 PM

And magnificent she looked as she crept into Penzance station.
Also worked 4 or 5 days on the Bodmin and Wenford railway :

Is that magnificent or maglev? :D

port perran

Ah.....apologies it's sideways.
Oops.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Philip.

Tornado just outside Penzance 29th May

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations