!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: n gauge mine based layout plan  (Read 6248 times)

Offline dats475

• Trade Count: (0)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: n gauge mine based layout plan
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2017, 05:36:21 pm »
Wow!!
Great looking locomotives!!
Superb weathering job on those.
I can see all the details on the body shell too!!
Must be nice to own those high quality engines!!

Dats

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2017, 06:35:46 pm »
Thanks Dats -Top 3 are kato -all new ( secondhand) top one in  executive livery (sd70mac) was the dearest at 50 ! The other sd70mac and the sd40/2 snoot were 40. 509 the last one is an atlas (superb flywheel chassis ) was the bargain -brand new unused 35 ! All of them still had the accessories packet unopened in the box . Rest of fleet are all kato -Richard just highlights whats there. The two wagons im waiting for are supposed to be his best work yet -but ive not seen them yet  :( 
Your locos  all look good Dats as does your layout -i 'll b happy if mine is half as good mate !
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 08:57:42 am by outofgauge, Reason: Spelling »
Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2017, 09:01:38 pm »
Great looking locos Neil.

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2017, 10:02:46 am »
A nice gentleman who goes by the forum name Belly sent me a :pmsign: he explained how he had read my posts and had recently done some field work -he offered me some pictures of maps and photos of tipples-how could i refuse ???  One of the photos -

Answered a question I had already asked myself -what happens to the dust , rocks ,unbreakable lumps etc -that they produce ? Load it up -ship it out !
I now had to have two of these dustbins -Ebay provided -nice and cheap ( brand new still cellophaned up)

Off to the weathering man with some background info -arrived back today -bit of stone ,dust( weathering powder) on the tops and were done -I've got my dustbins !

Just looked at the photo and they Defoe need new metal wheels ( with a bit of rust !)
Onwards and upwards hey 

Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2017, 02:37:31 pm »
They look very good, Neil, but as they have wheels are you sure they're not oversize wheelie bins? ;)

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2017, 01:42:28 pm »
 :) The coal mines office/ weigh bridge kit turned up today -a bit more work for me to do -Just got to decide what colour the brickwork is going to be ? Just waiting for the flood loader kit to arrive and all the main kits will be made and ready. Replacement bogies for the two twin stacks were in the same box-so a few more mins required to get them sorted -not quite as easy these because the pins are renowned for falling out -choice -i either drill them out to take a standard microtrains pin -5/32" bit. A one way ticket for the wagon OR I bite the bullet and order the special pins from america -depends if im going to buy anymore of this type of twin stack.? But ive been looking at www.nscalekits.com website at his selection of vehicles and wondering about some of them . Buy the way its a uk supplier but all the prices are in us$ -if anybody wants a copy of his uk prices - pm me and I'll send it over !

Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2017, 02:02:13 am »
Hi Neil

With regards to the pins falling out of your double stack trucks, can you not put a small dab of glue in the hole (PVA or epoxy say) just enough to keep them in there? Drilling them out would be OK too. The double stacks are not likely to become collector's items so you are not going to reduce their value by modifying them. Sending away for more pins sounds like a lot of effort.

Webbo
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:03:49 am by Webbo, Reason: Added a bit of info. »

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2017, 08:08:51 am »
No your right there -can't see any roundhouse products ever being worth much -lol they cost me peanuts ! Yeah i thought maybe some pva might do it -being trucks i dont wanna waft super glue or something to strong and quick round them and lock them up ! To be honest -im not bothered about any of it becoming collectors items -im out to enjoy them for what they are -hoping that my grandson gets bitten by the bug too -hes interested at the moment ( mind you so is his dad on the quite !) Im just keen to keep our hobby going !
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline scotsoft

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2017, 12:14:31 pm »
Hi Neil

With regards to the pins falling out of your double stack trucks, can you not put a small dab of glue in the hole (PVA or epoxy say) just enough to keep them in there? Drilling them out would be OK too. The double stacks are not likely to become collector's items so you are not going to reduce their value by modifying them. Sending away for more pins sounds like a lot of effort.

Webbo

You might want to try Tacky Glue, it is not permanent but could be enough to keep the pins in place.

Cheers John.

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2017, 06:45:53 pm »
Cheers John-that maybe the answer -i've got some somewhere -i'll give it a try this week and get back to you when they've had a romp round a test run for a while -i'll move them up and down the order to see if that makes any difference . That's the joy of this forum -you get loads of good ideas thrown at you !
Thanks to all -long live N Gauge!
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2017, 09:42:42 pm »
Right -tonight it's solution one (1) tacky glue -

knew I had some somewhere ! The casualties -

The new wheels and couplings -

A blob down each hole and voila new gear is on -i 'll leave it 24+ hours to get a grip - and report back then !

I will say one set was ok the one that is off in the first photo - the holes are a little worn - No wonder the pins were out !!!
Hope this works or it's stage two (2) drill out for standard microtrains pins !
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline scotsoft

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2017, 10:01:30 pm »
If the tacky glue does not work and since the holes are oversized, another solution you could try is dipping a cocktail stick in superglue and rubbing it round the oversize hole. Give it time to dry and repeat this process, which will reduce the size of the holes till you get a better fit with the pins.

Cheers John.

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2017, 10:19:43 pm »
Game for anything John-they cost nothing really  - if they fail -well lesson learned -don't buy roundhouse lol !
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:22:09 pm by outofgauge, Reason: Spelling error »
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline outofgauge

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2017, 10:51:15 am »
This is the last entry on this side -everything else will be on the new pages in the construction section. I said I'd got enough locos for my layout-but then I went to a show and watched a double stack container train go past -oh boy -floated my boat ! I've already got a kato 3 car set in bnsf and  a couple of roundhouse models converted to microtrains ( yes the tacky glue worked on one -drilled the other out for the microtrains pin and tacky glued that and they both behave now - the container in each has some extra weight inside ((thanks dapol -came with some Tesco containers ))then I found some walthers on ebay going cheap ( I know everyone says the same -there ok but no detail ! But there heavy- track well and from normal viewing distance look ok to me and I just wanted numbers to make up a decent size train to entertain people. So .....

sold as seen . I might just change the end coupling of two cars to microtrains - So I'm ok with the rest of the fleet ( I do so dislike the standard rapido coupling  >:( ) I've also seen on you tube a couple of wagons that carry a complete trailer on their back anything up to 53' long and they run in rakes of 5 wagons coupled together --- so I went on a mission to find some -N scale kits ( saw them at N gauge show last year  :veryangry:) anyhow they have a website ( all in US $ ) because they don't do much trade here but after an email -ive got the latest catalogue and price list. If anybody wants a copy of the email then ask !!! Very reasonable rates to me and some very unusual wagon kits  -bit of glue /paint and trucks and I'm business. Anyway as all my loco fleet are assigned already ( coal -switcher -general freight etc -i went looking for something different for a change ( I even check to see what there doing these days and what colours there wearing ) and I found these two . One is even factory dcc  produced ( lenz) decoder has had microtrains couplings fitted and is in mint codition -the other is mint but requires the board changing (tcs or digitrains are my usual choice )and needs the couplings changing so they can go anywher in the fleet. Anyhow here they are ....

So thanks again to all who have helped /commented / thanked me or just came for the ride -
Long live N Gauge and it's forum !!!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:07:02 am by outofgauge, Reason: Spelling error »
Regards

Neil

And I was Born ready .

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2017, 01:15:21 pm »
They look a bit big in comparison to the Sunny Southport beach huts, Neil :confused2:
Are you sure they're N gauge? ;)

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here