!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: East Lancashire lines  (Read 82100 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: East Lancashire lines
« Reply #1335 on: August 07, 2017, 07:13:14 am »
Looking really good Chris.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1336 on: August 08, 2017, 08:08:58 pm »
Hi everyone, a video is on its way, the camera battery had gone flat so its now on charge. Meanwhile back to cleaning the track, its a while since my last running session.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1337 on: August 08, 2017, 08:16:27 pm »
Hi everyone, a video is on its way, the camera battery had gone flat so its now on charge. Meanwhile back to cleaning the track, its a while since my last running session.
Looking forward to it.
Whenever I try a video I find that the trains run beautifully until I start the camera then the problems start. But , of course, that's Sod's Law.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #1338 on: August 08, 2017, 08:31:38 pm »
That's so true Martin, just going round with the isop now, tedious job but its required. The 4 Mt seems to be running round good without to much problem, it runs so slow, that's the ct chip in it. Main problems seem to be my insulfrog points in the fiddle yard, loco's stalling on them, I might gradually change them for live frogs especially on the left side of my fiddle yard where I have a frog juicer with 5 free ports.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #1339 on: August 08, 2017, 10:14:10 pm »
well here we go , second attempt, firefox crashed. The videos are a little dissapointing, I think the main cause is lack of light, plus more weight is needed in the camera wagon. As you will see in the second video it tipped over going round the curve. As usual soon as you set the camera up the class 47 which as been going round for a few mins tripped the circuit breakers going over another of the insulfrog points going into the fiddle yard. Plus the camera car is slightly too tall for the tunnel from the fiddle yard over the embankment towards the station, I think I can mod that one, but definately more light is required. The camera cost just under 7 so no great expense,like I said more light might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG8rNL4xC3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TUX_ZrK3wE&feature=youtu.be
By the way take no notice of the time and date, no idea of how to change it, the instructions say its on a the cd which of course I did not get.there is a text file changed that but it made no difference.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:17:46 am by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #1340 on: August 09, 2017, 07:27:58 am »
As you say Chris, there is room for improvement, but pretty good for the first run.  :thankyousign:

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #1341 on: August 09, 2017, 08:43:26 am »
Hi Chris,
I would not class myself as an expert photographer by any means but just want to state that a lot of these small cameras do not have the correct focal length for "on board" footage. I too have just spent a little over 7 on a different micro camera but that also seems to have the wrong focal length for this sort of footage. I am not yet in a position to try it in any track but just by using it in normal circumstances I have found that anything closer than 500mm (20" in old money) appears blurred. I think that is the problem you are experiencing on the video. When I eventually test mine, i will let you know or even share it with the forum.
Cheers Dennis.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #1342 on: August 09, 2017, 09:11:38 am »
Great photo's Chris, the track on the viaduct looks really good, as does the warehouse scene below.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #1343 on: August 10, 2017, 08:44:46 am »
Despite the problems, that was really interesting and the parts that worked ok looked good.
I may consider buying one of those wagon camera thingys and seeing what I can do.
Thanks for the pictures. I loved the whispering in the background!
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #1344 on: August 10, 2017, 09:23:43 am »
I think these on board videos are great fun and encourage all to have a go as Chris has done. There are a number of these cheap mini video cameras around and I've tried out three of them so far. Some are better than others. The issue of lack of focus can be addressed by using additional lenses. Here is a link to a thread in which a lot of this stuff has been discussed.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=8974.150

Webbo

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #1345 on: August 10, 2017, 09:28:49 am »
I am also a fan of the traincam. I think they are the most interesting videos on the forum. They show a layout in a most realistic manner.

It is just as interesting when trains enter tunnels, and construction techniques are revealed.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #1346 on: August 10, 2017, 09:54:24 am »
Thanks for the replies,I need to find more light then I will try again. The knurled  thing on front of the lens does not seem to affect focus it just seems to be a lens protector. I have had a mess and managed to change the date,I have also fitted the metal plate back on the wagon. Hopefully another video might be a little better,I also need to find the cause of the problem with the point entering the fiddle yard,so some work to do.

By the way Martin the whispering in the background was probably me swearing........lol

Lil Chris

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1347 on: August 10, 2017, 10:17:17 am »

By the way Martin the whispering in the background was probably me swearing........lol

I turned the volume up to 11 and your language was shocking, Chris :o ;)

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #1348 on: August 12, 2017, 03:36:58 pm »
Nice photo's.

Haven't done one for ages but always fun to make a driver's view type movie!

Lighting can be a problem and I solved mine by investing in a cheap and cheerful 3 bar spotlight job and stuck in dimmable GU10 LED lamps. That, along with a suitable dimmer gives loads of working light when you need it and dims down nicely when you want to add touch of atmosphere to the layout.

Look forward to the next epic.  :thumbsup:

Dave G

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #1349 on: August 13, 2017, 12:32:25 am »
Thanks Dave for the idea, I have a old light unit that takes those and some of those led's too just need a dimmer. I also have a led fishtank light somewhere, well two but one is coloured I could possibly use the white unit.
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here