Class 50, Class 59, prototype HST, Battle of Britain will be shelved for now

Started by Karhedron, March 17, 2017, 12:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scruff

Thirded..

Although the term Dapol are using is "in abeyance" which means a temporary pause.

I think that once they have worked through the stuff they already have in tooling, they will continue with their plans for the "in abeyance" items.. Dapol seem to have a lot of tooling at the moment which hasn't paid for itself yet...

Just my thoughts.
Cheers
Mark

njee20

Certainly that they are cancelling some things outright suggests they at least have an intention to start it up again in future. Or rather they're keeping their options open.

Karhedron

Quote from: scruff on March 24, 2017, 09:52:57 PM
I think that once they have worked through the stuff they already have in tooling, they will continue with their plans for the "in abeyance" items.. Dapol seem to have a lot of tooling at the moment which hasn't paid for itself yet...

I would like to think you are right but I have my doubts. I certainly agree that the current tooling backlog is probably causing a cash-flow issue.  So much of Dapol's efforts have been focused on 00 and 0 gauge lately. All of the postponed models have been queue jumped by more recent models in the larger scales. Are they really going to be reactivated once the current batch of larger-scale items are finished or will they get bumped again? I would like to be optimistic but like many others, I remember the Pendolino and Class 92.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

davidinyork

Quote from: scruff on March 24, 2017, 09:52:57 PM

That isn't what their press release says! The phrase used is "some previously announced and mooted projects will have to be put on abeyance until the economic conditions become more favourable"

It is difficult to see, given the EU situation, that ecomonic conditions are likely to become more favourable for quite a few years now.

njee20

And when they're admitting the larger scales are more lucrative. Why would you bother? From a business perspective.

wizbit44

As I posted in another thread dapol have over stretch them self and with producing other gauges ,but I can`t see the reason behind the class 50 ,it looks like things n gauge are slowly going south since dave Jones left or did he know something  and jumped!!!!!!!!! Ps think again about joining dapol dire collectors club

austinbob

Quote from: wizbit44 on March 25, 2017, 09:43:57 AM
As I posted in another thread dapol have over stretch them self and with producing other gauges ,but I can`t see the reason behind the class 50 ,it looks like things n gauge are slowly going south since dave Jones left or did he know something  and jumped!!!!!!!!! Ps think again about joining dapol dire collectors club
Dapol collectors club was dire a year ago but has improved considerably. They actually deliver what they promise in the collectors club bumf and have had some pretty good club member models - the latest being the class 66 'Evening Star'. However, the delivery of this latest club loco has already suffered some delay (originally promised around Easter but could be 2-3 months later) so lets hope the timescale doesn't extend further.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

wizbit44

Re collectors club dapol not received much of anything in the last eight months ,only one enveloped with not much n gauge enclosed ! Dapol n gauge going down the pan lets blame brexit for a change ?

woodbury22uk

,it looks like things n gauge are slowly going south since dave Jones left or did he know something  and jumped!!!!!!!!!

At least DJModels is now explicit about the 00 gauge models being needed to fund the N gauge locomotives and wagons, though the Mermaid and the Class 17 now seem to be in progress. You have to look at RMweb to see the latest news.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

austinbob

Quote from: wizbit44 on March 25, 2017, 10:01:24 AM
Re collectors club dapol not received much of anything in the last eight months ,only one enveloped with not much n gauge enclosed ! Dapol n gauge going down the pan lets blame brexit for a change ?
If you give Andrea a call at the collectors club, I'm sure she'll be able to sort out any errors or shortfalls in your club membership content. She is very helpful.

:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

NeMo

As I posted in another thread dapol have over stretch them self and with producing other gauges

I don't think you can blame Dapol for spreading their bets. They've produced 00 stuff for longer than N anyway, at least as far as the 1980s. Dropped out for a while, came back with N, and now do 00 and 0 as well.

To be fair their 0 gauge stuff is really opening up that hobby, making it much more affordable than ever. Decent £200 locos were just unheard of until Dapol started making them. Their RTR wagons cost about as much as good value kits. It's really quite something!

Do bear in mind that development of the N gauge D6300 and the 'Western' models were both piggybacked onto the 00 versions. Without 00, would both of these excellent models have been produced as quickly?

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

wizbit44

If dapol have dropped the class 50 I think there will be other takes for this project , big mistake dapol ? Going off the dapol thing will we ever see tpm again

njee20

Seems unlikely as he set up his own venture doing all 3 scales...

Newportnobby

Quote from: woodbury22uk on March 25, 2017, 10:06:39 AM

At least DJModels is now explicit about the 00 gauge models being needed to fund the N gauge locomotives and wagons

If memory serves me correctly from the first Bamber Bridge Meet Up in 2014 where Dave came along to give us a talk about his plans, Dave did say from the start that 00 models would fund the N gauge ones so I don't think it's a recent thing, Mike.

silly moo

It's a shame that the new West Country and Battle of Britain classes have been put on hold, I was looking forward to seeing a Dapol loco
without a tender drive shaft and seeing what the new design team were capable of.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations