It's starting to get expensive....again!

Started by Newportnobby, September 22, 2018, 02:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

Due to unforeseen possible financial outlay sometime soon, SWMBO and I have declared a moratorium on N Gauge model buying for a while. :(

I have tried to explain to her that the resultant dependency upon alcohol could prove more costly than mere model trains, but she, as Chief Accountant, is adamant.

So if you see an extremely inebriated Mrs Daffy on your travels, have sympathy for her deprived hubby. ;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Calnefoxile

Due to unforseen circumstances my purchasing power has been somewhat very diminshed in the last couple of years, fortunately those circumstances are starting to recover favourably, so I'll be able to start flashing some cash soon. So what's going to be on the list, well:

Revolution IZA's - Just got to pay balance for triple pack of original livery
Revolution Sturgeons  - Just been checking Mr. Bartletts site and nearly keeled over, it seems that due to my modelling era (75-85) I really should be ordering, some Black ones and Olive ones and could possibly get away with Red ones, but I'll probably leave the Red ones, so at least a couple of each Black type & Olive.
Revolution VEA's - now this is a tough one, as the NGS do the Vanwide which can be modelled as a VEA or VVV albeit with a standard Peco chassis  :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:
Revolution Cemflo - Yep, will be ordering a few of these, although I imagine a rake of 20+ is out of reach.
Revolution 128 - At least 1 in BR Blue, although I do already have one of Pauls bodies, might go for Red Star Red on this one.
Dapol 50 - Got to have a couple of these I think
Dapol 86 - May buy a couple of the new releases
NGS Hunslet - Deposit paid, just got to pay off

The rest will be just made up of general stock purchases as and when.

Although much to @free debt man pleasure, Mrs Calnefoxile has intimated that she would quite like me to model modern German  :o :o my reply to that was, "Well you'd better get doing some overtime then"  :D :D

I do have a few kits that need finishing off, like @Skyline2uk I have a Shark to finish, although mines built just needs decals. I also have an NGS Cartic 4 which I keep opening the box and looking at and quietly putting back muttering "One day".

So I either need to rob a bank, win the lottery or sell the Wife, can't sell the kids they've all b*&&^%d off already.

Cheers

Neal.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Calnefoxile on September 25, 2018, 12:33:00 PM
I also have an NGS Cartic 4 which I keep opening the box and looking at and quietly putting back muttering "One day".

Hi

Having built three (if they are the original style) I found the hardest part was adding the stainless steel treads to the upper body.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Newportnobby

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 22, 2018, 02:33:38 PM
Short term

Union Mills City of Truro
Rake of 5 Farish Hawksworth maroon coaches

Medium term

Gaugemaster/Dapol class 73
Farish Birdcage triple pack (just need to avoid paying so much for them somehow)
Farish 'C' class 0-6-0 tender loco
Union Mills G2 0-6-0 tender loco

Long term
Revolution Sturgeons (a couple of)
Revolution Cemflos (a couple of triple packs if available)
Revolution class 124 (one, maybe 2)
Farish 8F

To say nothing of the new washing machine I've just had to buy as the old one went tipear shaped and the verdammt TV licence

Please send Red Cross parcels
:helpneededsign:

All Farish items now ordered from Rails - check
City of Truro ordered - check
Class 73 ordered - check
G2 ex Union Mills - can't order until 1st qtr 2019 as there are none at present.
All RevolutioN items - waiting for appearance on their website

Checking back through my orders at Rails I still have the Dapol BoB spam can on order (thought I'd cancelled that) and the DJM class 23 is still on order with Rails, along with a class 17 twin pack (think they're a bit hopeful :hmmm:)

Snowwolflair

Quote from: PaulCheffus on September 25, 2018, 12:42:59 PM
Quote from: Calnefoxile on September 25, 2018, 12:33:00 PM
I also have an NGS Cartic 4 which I keep opening the box and looking at and quietly putting back muttering "One day".

Hi

Having built three (if they are the original style) I found the hardest part was adding the stainless steel treads to the upper body.

Cheers

Paul

By experiment, dilute PVA with a dash of soap painted with a brush round the frame and then just drop them in.  They must be absolutely flat to do this and there is enough tacky glue to pull them in in the middle.

Les1952

From yesterday's Dapol announcement you have 18 months to save up for the Spam Can.

My own N-gauge list is much shorter now-

3 N Gauge Society Hunslets for Hawthorn Dene's colliery (probably Spring now it seems)
A Thompson coach or so in blood & Custard, with at least a year to save up for the maroon ones I really want.
An unspecified number of Revolution Cemflos
probably another WD.

In N-gauge that is it.  The two NE Interlopers I wanted I got comparatively cheaply recently - a Class 33 s/h and a reconditioned Dapol Schools. 

I've also got hold of another four Dapol B1s so shouldn't need any more for some time as ten plus spares will keep my layouts going for some time- there are 3 in use every time Hawthorn Dene goes out and Croft Spa will need 4 or 5. The Dapol B1s are used on some of my heaviest trains- the Farish one I got for comparison couldn't cope (couldn't start the coal train) so was sold on.

No Place's OO loco stud is complete and nothing is expected here that hasn't already been paid for - a couple of brass 0-6-0 tanks are still being built.

However the layout after Croft Spa is HO digital sound so I can expect locos for this will be between £300 and £600 a pop.  Just as well it isn't a big layout
Les

Newportnobby

Quote from: Les1952 on September 30, 2018, 11:08:47 PM

A Thompson coach or so in blood & Custard, with at least a year to save up for the maroon ones I really want.

@Les1952
Are you saying the maroon Thompsons won't be here until this time in 2019 as, when I heard September, I thought it was this year :confused2:
My rellies have just provided me with vouchers which cover 70% of the cost

Edit - have received an e mail from Rails telling me my maroon Thompsons have been despatched to me. Don't leave it too long, Les!

Hailstone

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 01, 2018, 01:33:59 PM

@Les1952
Are you saying the maroon Thompsons won't be here until this time in 2019 as, when I heard September, I thought it was this year :confused2:

Edit - have received an e mail from Rails telling me my maroon Thompsons have been despatched to me. Don't leave it too long, Les!

Don't you mean Hawksworths Mick? Rails only show teak and blood/custard as TBA

Regards,

Alex

Les1952

Quote from: Newportnobby on October 01, 2018, 01:33:59 PM

@Les1952

Farish website shows Thompsons in LNER mock teak and blood and custard only.  The maroom ones have not yet been announced.

https://www.bachmann.co.uk/product-category/graham-farish/gf-coaches/?product-page=11

Les

paulprice

There is nothing for me to spend some dosh on  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Skyline2uk

Quote from: paulprice on October 01, 2018, 08:22:47 PM
There is nothing for me to spend some dosh on  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

You could spend some money on / for me?  :D

Skyline2uk

Newportnobby

Apologies to @Les1952 and @Hailstone
Yes - I got confused with the Hawksworths. Just goes to show how true "a year older but no wiser" is :-[

Bingley Hall

Shut up and take my money!

I'm in the very rare situation, for me, of having a decent amount saved up in the model railway slush fund......

2 x Sturgeons
4 x VEAs
6 x Cemflos
1 x 128
1 x Farish C
1 x Birdcage rake
1 x Deltic with white window surrounds

on the wishlist, and maybe

1 x King.

The trick of course will be trying not to spend the slush fund on other goodies before these all turn up.

Bealman

I saw the Farish birdcage coaches set at the end of the latest NGSJ, and thought: wouldn't mind a set of those in BR livery. Look good on the Castle Eden branch.

So far, the only pricing I've found is A$300 or so.

That's $100 a coach!!!

Maybe not.....
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bingley Hall

Quote from: Bealman on August 10, 2019, 07:00:37 AM
I saw the Farish birdcage coaches set at the end of the latest NGSJ, and thought: wouldn't mind a set of those in BR livery. Look good on the Castle Eden branch.

So far, the only pricing I've found is A$300 or so.

That's $100 a coach!!!

Maybe not.....

Model Railway Direct

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/rolling-stock-passenger-n/secr-coaches/

£127.46 less VAT @ 20% = AU$185.40

So just over A$60 a coach (plus postage obviously). Still just a bit too steep for me.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations