what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

koyli55002

Making a start on the "rebuild" of our Calne layout.....points replaced with Electrofrog (luckily, bought before the birth of these much maligned Unifrogs !) and now starting to replace all the platforms and buildings in the station and goods yard with more authentic versions.

Portpatrick

Getting Allanbrae ready for its first public showing on 13 October.

Newportnobby

Quote from: koyli55002 on September 24, 2018, 07:28:28 AM
Making a start on the "rebuild" of our Calne layout.....points replaced with Electrofrog

That looks very good. Have the electros improved anything?

daveg

Quote from: Portpatrick on September 24, 2018, 09:02:23 AM

Good luck with that.  :thumbsup:

Don't forget to report back with photos if poss.  :camera:

Dave G

Chris Morris

I'm getting an engineer's train together. The wagons are Parkside Grampus kits. I just happened to find an olive green brake van in Cheltenham today. I've printed the wagons today and tomorrow they will get a coat of olive green to match,border maybe black  then I need to get transfers. Finally they will receive a healthy dose of weathering.

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

AndyRA

Recently finished adding some castellated ornaments to the top of my tunnels. Had been meaning to do it for ages. It became a 'rainy day' job, but has worked out quite well in my opinion?

Andy A.

If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

Portpatrick

Quote from: daveg on September 24, 2018, 04:58:57 PM

Dave G
Quote from: daveg on September 24, 2018, 04:58:57 PM

Dave G

THanks Dave. 

There are 2 aspects which will require further attention before its appearance at Maidenhead and Marlow in Jan 19 and Silverfox next August
1) I need a fireproofed skirt round the front and ends.  Have not sourced the material yet.  Though my wife has suggested we (or rather she) cut the skirt for Portpatrick Town into 2.  One long enough for Allanbrae the other to add back whenever PP goes on show.
2) I will be running a draft sequence.  Not sure how it will pan out.  With regular interval DMU services plus the odd Voyager, sleeper, mail, and freight it may prove too boring.  If so I will edit it from a straight sequence taken by the days timetable operated straight through (it works well on PP) and perhaps cut a few hours out!!

It will also be interesting to see how I get on with cassettes rather than a sector plate. for the fiddle yard.

Noted on photos.  I will only have the phone and my Essential Tremor ridden hands to take pics but I will do what I can.  When PP was at the last open day the vicar of the church whose hall we were using took a couple of movie sequences and posted them on his churches Facebook page.  He also operated for a full day sequence with me lasting 45 mins or so.  I apologised to his wife later!

Chris Morris

I bought a fireproofing spray and applied it to my curtains.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Portpatrick

Quote from: Chris Morris on September 24, 2018, 08:14:52 PM
I bought a fireproofing spray and applied it to my curtains.

Yes I did that on a previous layout and we might well end up doing that..  But with PP SWMBO found some already proofed material and bought that.

bluedepot

1. building then fitting the legs to my new baseboards
2. building a tomytec derelict factory and auhagen conveyor belts kit which i may use on new layout if they look alright
3. 'research' on youtube, ebay, ngf, flikr and in traction magazine...

tim

LASteve

1) Going back and wiring the frogs on the points which I should have done in the first place and ignored plenty of advice that "I'd regret it later" (duly regretting - take advice)

2) Messing around with making a rock wall with cork sheet and paint.

3) Staring down D1045 and asking it severe questions about shorting out the layout, even when it's not moving and sitting in a siding

4) Happily watching hands-off operations with the Castle class and the Warship coming and going with rakes of coaches. That run-around loop and signalling are working just wonderfully, I'll take that back tomorrow when everything goes wrong. Hubris is a dangerous thing.

Stuart Down Under

It used to be so simple. Once the boards are up, the only jobs are track laying and wiring. I used to know what needed doing next. With track and wiring in place, it's time to start ballasting, ah, but platforms first (better start on station buildings and footbridge too), and other trackside stuff to put in place and where to put uncoupling magnets and I need more wagons converted to easi-shunt to test the magnets. and what about the bridge piers for over bridges and the embankments and barrow crossings and signals and on and on...

BUT the track is there and the trains run nicely, so maybe I will just sit and watch the trains   ;)

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Stuart Down Under on September 25, 2018, 05:22:25 AM
BUT the track is there and the trains run nicely, so maybe I will just sit and watch the trains   ;)

I think I've been doing that for about 4 years now :-[

koyli55002

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 24, 2018, 09:35:54 AM
Quote from: koyli55002 on September 24, 2018, 07:28:28 AM
Making a start on the "rebuild" of our Calne layout.....points replaced with Electrofrog

That looks very good. Have the electros improved anything?

Absolutely - considering that all running would be slow speed and with short wheelbase locos, made a huge difference, in both DC and DCC operation.
Also fitting cylindrical magnets on each siding which has made shunting ops much better !

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations