The shed

Started by first timer, September 05, 2017, 07:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevL

Quote from: first timer on February 21, 2018, 04:34:59 PM
My wife has already asked me where the bed goes.

About two feet below the layout, then you can do the under board track wiring in comfort :D
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

first timer

Is that speaking from experience ?

TrevL

Quote from: first timer on February 21, 2018, 05:14:09 PM
Is that speaking from experience ?

No,  Bilbo the Boxer would be wanting to join me, and the wirestrippers i can't find would probably under him.  It's bad enough that he won't let me go to the shed alone now., it would be murder if there was a bed in there.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Newportnobby

Quote from: first timer on February 21, 2018, 04:34:59 PM
My wife has already asked me where the bed goes.

Have you asked her exactly why she wants to sleep in the shed? On second thoughts, if you want to see the next day, don't ask her that at all :no:

first timer

If anybody it will be me sleeping in the shed. Right, 9mm plywood has been cut to size and loosely fitted in the shed ready to be framed and varnished but to cold at the moment will have to wait a few days.

Les.

Bealman

I like your choice of 9mm plywood, but disagree with varnishing. Unecessary  and a waste of money.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Sorry, George, but from what I've read on the forum I'd have to disagree although I have no personal experience of using plywood for baseboards :-\

Bealman

Varnish adds yet another layer between the track and the baseboard.

Plus, whats it supposed to do? Waterproof it?

Getting into the realms of garden railways, Mick  :P

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

NinOz

Quote from: Bealman on February 23, 2018, 09:16:03 AM
I like your choice of 9mm plywood, but disagree with varnishing. Unecessary  and a waste of money.
Use plywood myself (12mm for frame and track bed) and certainly a most popular choice around my area.
I only use exterior grade ply as the glues used are more water resistant and I throw lots of water about for scenery, no surface prep used.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

first timer

O.K. so forget the varnish but it still needs a frame,
  yes,  P S anyone want to buy a tin of varnish and a brush ?

NinOz

Varnishing won't hurt, just not essential.  Sure helps in slowing down dimensional changes due to varying humidity.

I know a few who had used MDF and Chipboard (the cheaper non-moisture resistant types) and varnished to slow the non-reversible expansion in high humidity.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Caz

Quote from: first timer on February 23, 2018, 10:11:34 AM
O.K. so forget the varnish but it still needs a frame,
  yes,  P S anyone want to buy a tin of varnish and a brush ?

If it's clear varnish is makes good looking water for either a river or lake, it's what I've used on Claywell

Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

dannyboy

I also used varnish for my little bit of river. The trick seems to be to put on very thin layers and allow to dry fully between each layer.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

first timer

O. K. frame on base board fitted, electrics on 7th March, and then I,m ready to move in (yipeeeee ). Mind you I have,nt designed a layout yet so lots of work and excitement to look forward to. Can,t wait.

Les  :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy: :claphappy:

first timer

Decided not to raise outer track, would have to buy 3 or 4 different packs of Woodland scenic raisers and inclines just to use bit of them so would work out very expensive. so all on the flat unless anyone has other ideas !!!!!!!!! Another question where,s the best place to home my controllers to one end or the middle of the layout or on a separate table near the sockets. Tell me please how you did yours.

Regards
      Les.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations