Prototype diesels - What have you got ? RTR or bashed, or kits etc

Started by Dalek, December 01, 2016, 08:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I have the RTR DP1 Deltic, and would also consider the Blue Pullman worthy of mention.
My local club, Leyland MRC have a 'Kestrel' which I believe was based on a class 47 chassis, and I have seen 'Lion' in N on an exhibition layout some while back.
It's a shame they're never likely to become RTR models as I am just not skilled enough to create one.
I'd love 'Falcon' in two tone green :heart2:

Dalek

Quote from: newportnobby on December 01, 2016, 02:36:09 PM
I have the RTR DP1 Deltic, and would also consider the Blue Pullman worthy of mention.
My local club, Leyland MRC have a 'Kestrel' which I believe was based on a class 47 chassis, and I have seen 'Lion' in N on an exhibition layout some while back.
It's a shame they're never likely to become RTR models as I am just not skilled enough to create one.
I'd love 'Falcon' in two tone green :heart2:

I also have DP1 in the set that has now been discontinued. Its the only prototype diesel i own at the moment. I would also love a blue pullman and would also consider this in the "era" that i would like to model although i might be wrong, i'm no expert, far from it, on the real railways but i like what i like. I believe this is rule 1 ;)
I think the attraction for me for the blue pullman is from the old hornby or triang ? OO set that i saw years ago as a kid but never owned.

I understand that DP1 had different engines to the production deltics, did they sound any different ?

Craig

msr

I beleive that the first mainline diesel shunter in Britain was 1831, built for the LMS. I produced one by a simple hack, little more than a repaint with addition of brass buffers, of a Fleishmann shunter (Cat. 7306).

Armstrong-Whitworth produced a demonstration diesel which ran on the LNER. Parkwood recently released a body kit of this loco. I didn't like the blue livery and so have applied a plain black livery instead, which I think suits it rather well. Chassis and buffers are from the Minitrix 2-6-2T No.41234  - needed significant filing and sawing of its weights to fit within the resin body - attached to chassis by push fit with wood spacer.

Parkwood produce various early generation shunter bodies. Here's one I've constructed. It was a simple body to prepare – removing a bit of flash, adding the buffers (N Brass) and then painting. It was supposed to be motorised using the chassis from a Minitrix V60 but instead I used the Hobbytrain Conrad DB BR 360 chassis which runs very sweetly.

I have built an ex GWR parcels railcar using the ERG overlay, mine being in early BR livery. I think this is a really effective, and cheap, method of producing unusual stock.

There are two DP1's, one in preserved livery and one as it ran initially. The primrose lining on the cantrail distinguishes between the two: this lining was worn in the 1950s but is missing from the preserved livery.

I am full of admiration  of the 10201 built by AndyRA. I have the body kit by Etched Pixels but have yet to summon the energy to build it!  Meanwhile I have made a representation using the Kato JR EF10 (Cat. 3077-1) as a base, removing the pantographs, reducing the bogie length (removing outer axle), adding buffers and adding corridor connections, and then repainting in BR green livery.

The Brush Class 53 prototype, Falcon, originally appeared in chestnut and lime green livery. Mine is a Britannia Pacific Models kit built by John Hazelton (owner of Silver Fox Models).

I hope this is of some interest.

Karhedron

Scot-mrc sells various resin kits of prototype diesels on eBay including pre-painted ones to fit on the nearest suitable Farish chassis. His prices are quite good so you can still get a painted loco, for not too much more than a RTR version if you do not trust your skills. He does not have many listed at the moment but they come up fairly frequently and you could probably drop him a line to check his availability.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/scot-mrc/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1

Here are some past ones he has sold.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/scot-mrc/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

I have no connection to the seller although my D600 kit is part of that range. I may be wrong but I believe the range may have originated with Dave Jones before he joined Dapol. I think the current owners are also here on the NGF but I cannot recall their names at present.

They also have a Faceboko page.

https://www.facebook.com/aemngauge/
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

msr

Somebody mentioned 'Lion'. My D0260 is a Britannia Pacific Models body on a Bachmann-Farish chassis with light weathering by CF Locos. After all, it surely didn't stay pure white for long!

Newportnobby

Some smashing modelling there, chaps, especially 'Falcon' and 'Lion' :drool:

Quote from: Dalek on December 01, 2016, 02:45:50 PM

I understand that DP1 had different engines to the production deltics, did they sound any different ?

Craig

Wickedpedia states that both DP1 and the 22 Deltics that followed all had 2 x Napier engines totalling 3300hp. I walked through a Deltic from cab to cab at Kings Cross and it was somewhat loud just idling!

koyli55002

I think they only ever built one version of the Napier "Deltic" engine anyway ?
We had seven of them as generators on a ship I worked on many years ago ....and I believe they also used them in the "Brave" class of Torpedo Boat.

Dalek

Quote from: koyli55002 on December 02, 2016, 03:57:00 AM
I think they only ever built one version of the Napier "Deltic" engine anyway ?
We had seven of them as generators on a ship I worked on many years ago ....and I believe they also used them in the "Brave" class of Torpedo Boat.

Any posts i've seen from the NRM on Facebook that have a picture of "Deltic" always gets replies about getting it running again, the usul stuff comes up, asbestos, wiring is bad cut etc, traction motors are bad, engines have internal parts missing etc etc.
What came up recently when somebody suggested that they fit a couple of the spare production engines is that they are actually different in some way. I was just wondering if that difference made them sound any different to the 22 production deltics ?

Dalek

Some cracking models on this thread !!!!

Any close ups of the Metrovicks ?

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Karhedron on December 01, 2016, 09:33:14 AM
Do you count the 5 NBL warships as prototypes? If so, my kit-built D600 active is quite smart.

I built it a few years ago but I believe that the kit is back in production.

A lovely model there, and yes, I would count the D600s as prototypes but then why not the Class 44 Peaks, of which only 10 were built? And if we are going to include classes of ten members where do we stop? Other classes small (in numbers) included the Class 55 Deltics, for example, but would anyone call them 'prototypes'?
Just asking.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

koyli55002

Agree with D1042.
To me, a "prototype" would be a one/ off only.

Two I still have to finish are DP2 and Kestrel - once I've cleaned up the resin bodies a bit !

BramptonBranch

Being greedy I have Lion, Falcon(Britannia models) Kestrel, LMS 1OOOO, gas turbine,  18000 (Parkwood) and DP1.

Some of the SR electrics would be nice.........

You just cant have to much of a good thing!!
You can never have to many Warships!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations