Prototype diesels - What have you got ? RTR or bashed, or kits etc

Started by Dalek, December 01, 2016, 08:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalek

:hellosign:

I have a very small roundy roundy layout for my son in his bedroom, but the plan later on is to have a much bigger layout, eventually.... :)

My interests are the prototype diesels and i plan on modeling the period these arrived on the scene and thefore have steamies and prototype diesels and possibly mainstream diesels runnng, all hopefully with sound, well thats what i'd like anyway !.

So with that in mind show us your prototype diesels please so i can see whats available RTR on a layout and what people have made as kits, bashed etc.

:photospleasesign:

Kind Regards
Craig

NeMo

(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Dalek

Quote from: NeMo on December 01, 2016, 08:56:39 AM
Take a look at this...

http://www.ngauge.historyfiles.co.uk/FeaturesNGauge/howto_Diesel10800_Kit.htm

Some excellent modelling here.

Cheers, NeMo

Thats an excellent article and model  :thumbsup:
Thanks for that  :)
Do you know if its possible to convert that old Poole-era Graham Farish Class 20 diesel chassis to DCC and somehow get sound in there as well ?

Craig

NeMo

You can DCC anything if you're handy with a soldering iron (or willing to send it off to someone who is).

As for sound, no idea.

Do also look at Worsely Works and Etched Pixels, both of whom make etched brass kits of some unusual loco designs including the D600 'Warships'. The current NGS Journal has a fantastic article on producing a Fell diesel-mechanical from various locos and bodies.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Karhedron

Do you count the 5 NBL warships as prototypes? If so, my kit-built D600 active is quite smart.

I built it a few years ago but I believe that the kit is back in production.

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Dalek on December 01, 2016, 09:21:58 AM
Take a look at this...

Cheers, NeMo

Do you know if its possible to convert that old Poole-era Graham Farish Class 20 diesel chassis to DCC and somehow get sound in there as well ?

Craig

If you look at the photo from the article there is an obvious space under the chassis disguised as the tanks/battery box that is big enough for a DCC chip and a speaker if you are careful.

Dalek

Quote from: Karhedron on December 01, 2016, 09:33:14 AM
Do you count the 5 NBL warships as prototypes? If so, my kit-built D600 active is quite smart.

I built it a few years ago but I believe that the kit is back in production.

It is indeed very very smart !  :thumbsup: and would also fall into my catagory.

I would probably struggle with lining, is that a slide on transfer or painted ? Can you get stuff like that ?

It does look very nice.  :greatpicturessign: :thankyousign:

Can you still get GW railcars ? I've seen the odd one at shows but didn't know if it was a kit built or older RTR ?

Craig

Dalek

Quote from: Snowwolflair on December 01, 2016, 09:37:30 AM
Quote from: Dalek on December 01, 2016, 09:21:58 AM
Take a look at this...

Cheers, NeMo

Craig

If you look at the photo from the article there is an obvious space under the chassis disguised as the tanks/battery box that is big enough for a DCC chip and a speaker if you are careful.

Ahh, good idea !

Thanks  :thumbsup:

Craig

AndyRA

Over the years did quite a few, mostly scratchbuilt on Farish chassis. A few resin kits.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=45854
Standard 47 from Farish with a modified roof.

Andy.
If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

Karhedron

Quote from: Dalek on December 01, 2016, 10:14:55 AM
I would probably struggle with lining, is that a slide on transfer or painted ? Can you get stuff like that ?

The lining is done with Fox transfers so is fairly easy. The trick I have found is to use a strip of masking tape like a rule on the model. It makes a straight edge for you to slide the transfer up against. Once the tranfer is in place and the excess water removed, gently peel off the tape leaving a straight line.

I wrote an article on building this kit a few years back for the N Gauge Society journal. If you are interested, PM me your email address and I can send you a copy.

Can you still get GW railcars ? I've seen the odd one at shows but didn't know if it was a kit built or older RTR ?

Yes, the Swindon-built style of GWR railcars are still produced by Farish. They have not done a batch for a few years so most of the bigger shops seem to have sold out. You may get lucky by ringing around some of the smaller shops that do not have such extensive websites. You can pick them up on eBay if you are happy to buy 2nd hand. Also Bachmann's website state they are planning another production run but do not give a date so it may be some months away.

If you want the earlier style of streamlined railcar then BHE produce a 3D printed body kit which can be mounted on a Tomytec chassis but the lining on these units was fairly complex and I have not yet had the time to have a crack at one.

Dapol are producing the streamlined railcars in 00 gauge but have not yet confirmed if they will be producing them in N Gauge (I will be up for at least 3 if they do ;)). I tried to get this model produced via a Kickstarter a few years ago but it was before RevolutioN had broken the ice with their Pendolino kickstarter and I did not get enough pledges. :(
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Snowwolflair

Golden rule is don't expect it to work first time and always be prepared to take a step back.

Dalek

All good stuff guys, those are the loco's i'm interested in as well, DP2, Co, Bo etc etc
Some brilliant looking stuff, i'd be dead chuffed if i could come up with something as good as that.

Keep the pics coming please  :thumbsup:

Craig

johnlambert

Quote from: Karhedron on December 01, 2016, 10:56:27 AM

The lining is done with Fox transfers so is fairly easy. The trick I have found is to use a strip of masking tape like a rule on the model. It makes a straight edge for you to slide the transfer up against. Once the tranfer is in place and the excess water removed, gently peel off the tape leaving a straight line.

I wrote an article on building this kit a few years back for the N Gauge Society journal. If you are interested, PM me your email address and I can send you a copy.

Yes, the Swindon-built style of GWR railcars are still produced by Farish. They have not done a batch for a few years so most of the bigger shops seem to have sold out. You may get lucky by ringing around some of the smaller shops that do not have such extensive websites. You can pick them up on eBay if you are happy to buy 2nd hand. Also Bachmann's website state they are planning another production run but do not give a date so it may be some months away.

If you want the earlier style of streamlined railcar then BHE produce a 3D printed body kit which can be mounted on a Tomytec chassis but the lining on these units was fairly complex and I have not yet had the time to have a crack at one.

Dapol are producing the streamlined railcars in 00 gauge but have not yet confirmed if they will be producing them in N Gauge (I will be up for at least 3 if they do ;)). I tried to get this model produced via a Kickstarter a few years ago but it was before RevolutioN had broken the ice with their Pendolino kickstarter and I did not get enough pledges. :(

BHE also does the GWR twin railcars as 3D-printed bodies (I'm working on a set at the moment).

From what I've heard, if DCC is important the Graham Farish GWR railcars with the 6-digit part number on the box are easier to convert.  As it was imparted by a third party I can't comment on whether it is accurate or not.  What I can say is that the later railcars come with darkened, low-profile wheels which look a bit neater than the silver pizza cutters on older models.

Also, if you're interested in conversions, the Electra Railway Graphics vinyl sides are an easy way to turn a Farish rail car into a GWR parcels rail car.  I think BHE also does a 3D printed parcels railcar body.

Talking of the GWR streamlined railcar.  I was chatting to Andy from Dapol and I got the impression that an N gauge version of the OO model was under consideration.  That's not to say that it's definitely going to happen but if anyone was going to build one you'd have to admit that Dapol is the most likely candidate.

Finally, no-one has mentioned the Graham Farish DP1 prototype Deltic.  I don't think it's available new anywhere but you might get lucky with a smaller shop.  It's a lovely model, I'll have to see if I can post a picture later.

Karhedron

Quote from: johnlambert on December 01, 2016, 01:40:54 PM
Finally, no-one has mentioned the Graham Farish DP1 prototype Deltic.  I don't think it's available new anywhere but you might get lucky with a smaller shop.  It's a lovely model, I'll have to see if I can post a picture later.

Not available from the big sellers anymore but you might get lucky with a smaller shop (Church Street Models in Basingstoke had one in the cabinet a little while back but I am not sure if they still have it). It turns up quite often on eBay if you want one and it is a lovely model.

Karhedron

Langley produce a kit of the Gas Turbine loco 18000 (GT1) which ran on the mainline out of Paddington for over 10 years. I have a kit awaiting assembly but I have had a spot of bother finding a suitable chassis. The one below is not mine.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations