Just for fun - the best N gauge models of the first 50 years?

Started by NeMo, November 25, 2016, 04:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Western Exile

Others have mentioned the model that got them back into N gauge and in my case it was the NGS Inspection Saloon. A really lovely model, as are all the Farish Mk1s.
(not Dr.) Al

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

lil chris

I have a LMS inspection saloon it is a nice model. Here is a pic of the oldest coach I have, it looks like the one in the ngs 50year magazine. It is a simple 4 wheel coach in teak but it is not stamped gf.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

njee20

QuoteWhy not? Looking at, say, the Dapol 'Terrier' you have a tiny, tiny little loco that works well and has a surprisingly high level of detailing, even if it isn't a precise replica. For the price, I'd say it absolutely is exceptional. On the Farish side, others have already mentioned the Blue Pullman units and the prototype 'Deltic' as being stand-out models of recent years

Wasn't seeking to be antagonistic, they both do excellent models, I just can't think of anything that truly stands out as exceptional. We obviously model very different eras, so have different benchmarks!

I suspect most people on here have at least 5 locos, so they could have something from CJM ;)

Don't get me wrong, I don't, because they're just too expensive, but they are breathtaking models, and to compare to a scratch built model is a bit odd, they're RTR, just sold in very small quantities.

Roy L S

In the mid 90s it was the Union Mills J39 that persuaded me back into N Gauge modelling. At that time it was a seriously good model which performed superbly.

In more recent times the Farish B1 and the later coreless motor loco drive models lifted the bar amazingly, pick of the bunch for me has to be the Ivatt 2MT Mogul.

Roy

Chetcombe

Another call out for the Peco Jubillee and the Blue Pullman. I would also throw in something from Hornby Minitrix - either the indestructible Warship or the Mark 1 coaches, which were way ahead of their time...
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Roy L S

Oh, the Peco Jubilee. In a league all of it's own. In it's day and for many years after a loco of the utmost quality in every respect. Even now it holds it's own. I have two BR green ones which happily work turn and turn about with more modern models. they run reliably smoothly and pull prototypical loads. If well looked after they are pretty much bullet proof.

Yep, I stand corrected. For steam locos at least, it has passed the test of time and proved itself. That has to be the one.

Roy

PLD

There was a very similar thread just over a year ago...  :searchingsign:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=28590.0

I think the only real addition to the list since then is the Revolution Tankers. - The first product to market from a new manufacturer by a new method of funding...

Claude Dreyfus

Quote from: PLD on November 25, 2016, 11:54:27 PM

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=28590.0

I think the only real addition to the list since then is the Revolution Tankers. - The first product to market from a new manufacturer by a new method of funding...

And in that thread I suggested the Fleischmann diesel...for pretty much the same reasons.

BramptonBranch

Quote from: Mito on November 25, 2016, 06:13:40 PM
For me the Minitrix Class 42. A bit battered now but a great runner. I have two.

Only two? get them reworked they are great my fleet stands at ten!!!!
You can never have to many Warships!

javlinfaw7

The indestructable class 27 and 42 from minitrix every one has one not particularly accurate but will pull anything and never breakdown 

NeMo

Quote from: PLD on November 25, 2016, 11:54:27 PM

Nope. Don't remember threads from a year ago I'm afraid (too much else in my life for that) and this is, after all, just for fun. If it isn't fun for you, @PLD, then sorry to have wasted your time and for any distress caused.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Bealman

The title of the thread says exactly that. Just for fun.  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

TylerB

Controversial choice maybe - the Dapol class 73. Because (as previously said) it, along with the 14xx, marked the beginning of proper competition in modern British N, also it's one of my favourite prototypes, and, even if the mechanism can be a bit wobbly, it was a huge step up in terms of moulding and small detail.

I'd also highly rate the latest generation of Farish MK1's

Also, to praise all manufacturers a bit, the Peco 4 wheel private owner wagons range, just for being so varied and attractive.

And (I'll say it before anyone else does) Kato Unitrack  :)

NeMo

Quote from: TylerB on November 26, 2016, 08:51:24 AM
Controversial choice maybe - the Dapol class 73. Because (as previously said) it marked the beginning of proper competition in modern British N, also it's one of my favourite prototypes, and, even if the mechanism can be a bit wobbly, it was a huge step up in terms of moulding and small detail.
I think you sum up Dapol completely with the Class 73! On the one hand, some serious competition spurred Farish into better things. Competition is good. But on the other hand, the Dapol Class 73 epitomises the company for me: bodywork often spot-on or at worst merely very good with a few minor compromises only someone very familiar with the prototype would spot. But the mechanisms they use are, might we say, inconsistent in quality and reliability? Get a good one and you're fine, but rather too many duff ones out there to make buying Dapol models completely plain sailing.

Quote from: TylerB on November 26, 2016, 08:51:24 AM
Also, to praise all manufacturers a bit, the Peco Wonderful Wagons range, just for being so varied and attractive.
I very nearly kicked off this thread with the Peco wagon kits. I think you're right that the Peco RTR wagons are attractive and seem to be very modestly priced compared to the competition. But I was thinking about the kits specifically. Very simple to put together, making them a great way to get anyone into the hand-crafting side of the hobby without much (any?) risk of failure and disappointment. Either way @TylerB, good call!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations