Just for fun - the best N gauge models of the first 50 years?

Started by NeMo, November 25, 2016, 04:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeMo

Had a read of the NGS Journal's supplement on the first 50 years of N-gauge modelling. Made me wonder about the selected highlights. So, NGF, what particular models stand out as either modern must-haves or simply classic models of their time?

I'm going to start with two suggestions:

Number 1, the Peco 'Jubilee' as a classic model. Well made and still looks good, despite its age.

Number 2, a modern must-have, would be the Dapol china clay tanks; specifically, the weathered ones. They show just how much detail can be fitted to 2mm scale models these days, and the weathering is so far beyond "a bit of air-brushed dirt" as to render each of them pretty much unique.

Anyone else feel like sharing their thoughts on this?

Cheers, NeMo

(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Newportnobby

I would say the entry of Dapol into the N gauge market.
Not that I believe their locos are better than Farish, but the sheer fact of them being there made others sit up and realise they had to 'up their game'.
I have to say the quality/detail of the Dapol Collett coaches blew me away and I just knew I had to have some.

The Farish Blue Pullman was a first for having 2 power cars balanced and was such a thing of beauty I bet loads of folks bought one without, like me, being able to really justify one in the location I model.

The rise of DCC is something I've not taken to but must rank very highly with an awful lot of others.

Jerry Howlett

Minitrix Gresleys were the dogs biscuits in their day.

The dapol 14xx, so tiny a wee marvel even if it can barely pull an autotrailer.
The Blue thing I agree if only Mrs "H" didn't know how much they cost.
The Hornby Brighton Belle in umber and cream, I like it but am frightened to take it out of its box.

Jerry

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Western Exile

Lima Deltic anyone?  :hmmm:

Seriously though, I agree with NeMo about the Dapol "silver" bullets. I've got five myself and they really look the business.
(not Dr.) Al

NeMo

Quote from: Dorsetmike on November 25, 2016, 05:05:46 PM
Are we restricting this to UK outline?

Depends. If it degenerates into *yet another* "this US model was 30 years ahead of anything sold in the UK" thread, then maybe yes, it should be! Otherwise nope, it's just for fun @Dorsetmike -- feel free to post whatever thoughts you have!

Cheers, NeMo

njee20

I'll say the Revolution TEAs rival the Silver Bullets for detail. The weathering on the Silver Bullets is very good, wish I'd bought more when I've seen them cheap at various intervals.

Surely CJM models should be up there, I was looking at a pair of 50s a friend owns last week, and they are utterly stunning. As they should be for the price, mind!

Mustermark

I'm going to vote for the hopelessly inaccurate mid-80's Farish Western.  It was totally eclipsed by the fabulous Dapol Western a few years ago, but the old Farish one I bought in 1989 is what got me into N gauge and started my obsession collection.  Just my two cents, just for fun.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

NeMo

Quote from: njee20 on November 25, 2016, 05:45:38 PM
I'll say the Revolution TEAs rival the Silver Bullets for detail.
Not too familiar with these models! But they're certainly a landmark of sorts, given the way they were financed and produced.

The weathering on the Silver Bullets is very good, wish I'd bought more when I've seen them cheap at various intervals.
Definitely! I've got half a dozen, and while I don't use them much, they really are beautiful. You do see them secondhand from time to time.

Surely CJM models should be up there, I was looking at a pair of 50s a friend owns last week, and they are utterly stunning. As they should be for the price, mind!
See, I'd suggest that the influence that CJM models have had on the hobby is nil. I'd contrast that with Mercig, another equally high-end bespoke supplier. But whereas CJM seems never to have worked with Dapol or Farish, Mercig has influenced those mainstream manufacturers by providing templates from which low-cost weathering could be based. I do believe Dapol have used Mercig models, and DJ Models plan to do so in the future.

Cheers, NeMo

Mito

For me the Minitrix Class 42. A bit battered now but a great runner. I have two.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Plainline.

Difficult one. So many good models out. For me the loco that brought me back into n gauge was the Farish 45. Blue Pullman is stunning, would love one but cannot justify it!

njee20

Quote from: NeMo
See, I'd suggest that the influence that CJM models have had on the hobby is nil. I'd contrast that with Mercig, another equally high-end bespoke supplier. But whereas CJM seems never to have worked with Dapol or Farish, Mercig has influenced those mainstream manufacturers by providing templates from which low-cost weathering could be based. I do believe Dapol have used Mercig models, and DJ Models plan to do so in the future.

Cheers, NeMo

You didn't say most influential though! Ben and Mike of Revolution have said how helpful Chris Marchant has been to them, and I believe others have used him as a source of reference previously. I'd say he's probably been far more influential for the RTR market than Mercig, as good as Ian's work is.

But to my point, many (albeit not all) of Chris's models are utterly unparalleled. Indeed I'd say his weathering is better than Mercig, and he builds the model too!

I'm struggling to think of anything Dapol or Farish loco-wise which is really exceptional. The Farish 60 is a great model, but I'm not wholly sure it is anything exceptional.

Keith Bingham

:)I agree with Nemo that Peco's Jubilee is a real beauty. I've got one myself, bought off Ebay a few years ago, and it's a brilliant smooth runner still. When I enquired at Peco as to when my model - "Furious" - was built they said it was probably 1980-82. So that makes it around 35 years old!
I also have two Minitrix Flying Scotsman locos, one in LNER green livery, the other in BR mode, dark green. Both splendid runners - but not at the same time, mind!
Congratulations to the N-Gauge Society on their 50th anniversary celebration magazines, great pictures and great reading.

NeMo

Quote from: njee20 on November 25, 2016, 06:39:30 PM
Ben and Mike of Revolution have said how helpful Chris Marchant has been to them, and I believe others have used him as a source of reference previously. I'd say he's probably been far more influential for the RTR market than Mercig, as good as Ian's work is.
I concede my point then!

But to my point, many (albeit not all) of Chris's models are utterly unparalleled. Indeed I'd say his weathering is better than Mercig, and he builds the model too!
In which case a really well-made scratch-build or kit would make the list, but my idea with this thread was to look at the stuff that modellers can afford to buy on regular budgets; in other words, the mainstream stuff.

I'm struggling to think of anything Dapol or Farish loco-wise which is really exceptional. The Farish 60 is a great model, but I'm not wholly sure it is anything exceptional.
Why not? Looking at, say, the Dapol 'Terrier' you have a tiny, tiny little loco that works well and has a surprisingly high level of detailing, even if it isn't a precise replica. For the price, I'd say it absolutely is exceptional. On the Farish side, others have already mentioned the Blue Pullman units and the prototype 'Deltic' as being stand-out models of recent years.

I'm really interested in stuff from previous decades too. @Mustermark has mentioned the Farish 'Western', and while it's dated, I do remember being totally in love with it when it surfaced in the mid-80s. Didn't model N back then; indeed, was growing out of my 'train' phase around about then, but looking back I remember vividly being impressed by the one I saw at the Harrow Model Shop. Whether or not it actually was an exceptional model I shall leave to others to decide, but by my reckoning, the Peco 'Jubilee' has aged a lot better.

Cheers, NeMo

Claude Dreyfus

The Fleischmann class 218 diesel. Has been around for decades, with countless produced. Back in the 70s and 80s, many British N gauge layouts had at least one; probably because modellers wanted to have at least one loco that was reliable, powerful and actually looked like it's prototype.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations