N Gauge Now

Started by Northern Git, November 24, 2013, 10:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Issue 12 has just dropped through the letterbox so I know what I'll be reading this afternoon :D

njee20

How's it doing NN? Any real changes to a year ago?

Portpatrick

Mine has recently arrived.

Newportnobby

Quote from: njee20 on December 05, 2017, 01:19:37 PM
How's it doing NN? Any real changes to a year ago?

Not many articles caught my interest as they were about modern image stuff or locos I would not run as they are outside my modelled area. Hopefully it will suit others better. Everything about TINGS has been done so more is passé. Reviews are OK but have been done in the monthlies, and some of the pics are still awful. There's one of a couple of Pendolinos and a Nelevator which is barely discernable.
An article about internet fora wasn't done so will now appear in the following issue.
I'm really not sure if I'll be renewing my subscription :-\

njee20

Modern sounds good, but based on the rest of it I'm disinclined to re-revisit it. A real shame.

guest311

I must admit that initially I liked this, and it was my only magazine that I got, but I am afraid I ended up not renewing my membership, as I found less and less of interest.
just my view.

Newportnobby

I guess the problem with the mag and, to a certain extent, the NGS Journal, is that via this great forum we get instant news/reviews so there may be something in the monthlies we haven't heard but bi-monthly and beyond will always struggle to provide news. At least the pics in the NGS Journal are of decent quality. I do like N Gauge Now's articles on the history of a certain model. Although the class 66 is not my cuppa tea their piece on Granges, Halls and Manors in a previous issue I thought was great.
At least, unlike the monthlies, it is 100% N gauge.

njee20

Yes, I do agree, we're spoiled now with access to so much media. Even layout topics in threads online have the potential to be vastly more detailed than you can manage in a magazine, although I still enjoy thumbing through a paper magazine and poring over pictures and track plans!

There's definitely a market, I think you're right it's in 'proper' articles, that don't tend to proliferate on forums.

Portpatrick

I too like a real magazine and happily pore over track plans, train operation and train make up articles etc.  As well as sometimes finding some scenic and other things of interest.  Since the start of 2017 I have only subscribed to N gauge Now on top of receiving the NGS Journal (member since 1984).  I have purchased around 5 mainstream during the year (a mix of BRM, RM and Hornby) because of articles of interest.

We all have different needs and preference's.  My own interests are fairly focused and I have been around long enough to have accumulated  as much basic knowledge of layout construction and development as I feel i need for the present.  Hence I don't get as much from the mainstream as many will.

This forum and its Facebook manifestation, provide an ideal means of exchanging current experience and thinking. 

I have enjoyed taking N Gauge Now, since it launched, but it remains to be seen whether it is developing enough for me to renew again during 2018.  The historic articles on classes actual history and development of models has probably gone as far as I personally find valuable.  Knowing the catalogue numbers of different releases is helpful if I want to identify a release with NEM pockets for example.  But again I think I have as much as I need in the forseeable future.  And the fact that the latest issue had so many pages devoted to this sort of article perhaps reflected the lack of other material?

Anyway I will make up my mind during 2018.  Others must decide for themselves.  Having a pure N Gauge magazine is certainly pleasant, although many articles in the traditional mags even if taken from a specific layout/scale were also applicable to us.

Portpatrick

And if there is a lack of material, that is in part down to all of us.  It is a long time since I appeared in print.  (Who said a good thing too!)

NeMo

Quote from: Portpatrick on December 06, 2017, 12:08:57 PM
II have enjoyed taking N Gauge Now, since it launched, but it remains to be seen whether it is developing enough for me to renew again during 2018.  The historic articles on classes actual history and development of models has probably gone as far as I personally find valuable...

I think this is an important observation, so thanks for sharing it. I see this is a potential flaw in all the model railway magazines.

Historical perspectives on locos, rolling stock, locations or railway companies can be a good read if they're done well. Even if they're something I'd never model -- say a narrow gauge line in Ireland that was closed down in 1922 -- if the article is well illustrated, has details I'd not find online, and above all written in an engaging, even opinionated, style, then I'll enjoy that piece.

Articles aimed at collectors are tricky. On the one hand, knowing how many different manufacturers make kits or models of a particular prototype is really useful. But such articles seem to be difficult to write in an engaging style, and unless its about something I know I'm going to model, I tend to skip these.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

guest6107

Mine turned up. Heavy on the British this time. I think it's priced reasonably fairly. One good side is the absence of ads so it won't be getting revenue that could keep prices down. As I know little about railways it's a cohesive source of information from the modelling side although the amount of detail is overwhelming, classes and variations and things. I could be critical about the lack of constructional articles but I won't because it can only do so much per issue. It's firing up my son's interest in starting a layout. I shall have to keep it away from him!

Old Crow

Reading the above, I bought two back copies with my interests in. Have to say it's very well produced to an excellent standard and the articles are well written. Excellent reviews and photography. It's very good value at the cover price but the postage really adds a lot. Still, it's all "N" and no ads! Recommended.

Newportnobby

Have just received a message in the post from Howard Foy (Editor/Publisher)....

"For personal and business reasons, we regret that the Spring issue of N Gauge Now, due for publication before the end of February, will be unavoidably delayed by 3-4 weeks. We now hope to publish this issue in time for Easter."

25901JFM

Quote from: newportnobby on March 02, 2018, 11:32:40 AM
Have just received a message in the post from Howard Foy (Editor/Publisher)....

"For personal and business reasons, we regret that the Spring issue of N Gauge Now, due for publication before the end of February, will be unavoidably delayed by 3-4 weeks. We now hope to publish this issue in time for Easter."

My note only arrived this week, I think it was Thursday (8th).  To be honest I had forgotten all about it! 
John

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations