Graham Farish Steam locos - direct drive or tender drive

Started by Old Crow, October 14, 2017, 10:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Crow

Just ordered one of the Gaugemaster oilers with the needle dropper. Want to use the right stuff in small quantities. The older loco runs ok but the newer one really scoots. As you say, dirty commutator? and maybe needs a good lube on all bearings. I'm afraid to unscrew anything underneath without knowing what I'm doing so is there a good tutorial somewhere about how to get the body shell off?

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Old Crow on October 17, 2017, 05:39:48 PM
.. maybe needs a good lube on all bearings
Motor bearings (and other high speed running bearings) will screech if they're dry.  As others have said, avoid "a good lube".  Absolute bare minimum and only if it really needs it.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Old Crow

Should get my oiler tomorrow. Main gear? Do you guys oil the motion - like a rally tiny drop? Does this make a difference? I'd like to do the main drive wheel bearings bit they lok very difficult to get at - any tips; obviously I don't want stuff on the wheels.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Old Crow on October 18, 2017, 02:19:53 AM
Do you guys oil the motion - like a really tiny drop?

Quote from: newportnobby on October 17, 2017, 11:20:16 AM

I totally agree about the 4MT but I have found a solution by very lightly oiling the motion

Only on tender drive locos and only the teeniest droplet on the linkages.

Douglas

"Agreed, I've had to do far more "de-oiling" to service people's locos than I've ever had to actually lubricate. "

How do you de oil please?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations