Viewpoint from a complete nocice.

Started by grayn, August 06, 2017, 04:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grayn

It was about 5 weeks ago, I decided, after many years of thinking about it, to take up railway modelling.  So I started scanning the internet and mags, for info.  Like most, scale was my 1st choice to make and although I liked the idea of larger trains, my layout size of 64" X 40" made N Gauge the natural choice.  Then I discovered the manufacturer, Kato.  I've had a fondness for all things japanese, through other hobbies, for many years.  Good quality and very practical.
With the help of my wife, over the last 3 weeks, we've sorted out a 4 track layout, in DC.  I've enjoyed the planning and of course, buying trains and other equipment.  The unitrack system has made things very easy.  We now have 4 trains, 3 Kato and 1 Flieschmann.  2 swiss, 1 german and 1 japanese.
The only minor downside, from my viewpoint, is couplers.  Our Kato Glacier Express has couplers than just come together and stick, the others need a lot of fiddling.  Being so small, I can not really work out the best way to do it.  I just keep fiddling until they stay connected.
It's all very early days, I know.  With hiding the wiring, sorting out lighting, a back scene, buildings, people and scenery to do, there's months ahead.  And I'm looking forward to it, a lot.
The few shops I have dealt with, have been really helpful.  Especially the guy in Topslots N Trains, in Fleetwood.  Magazines are mostly a bit hardcore for me.  As you can see from our train collection, I'm not trying to recreate an era or region.  We just got the trains we thought were cool.  Although alpine and continental trains to seem to appeal the most, to us.
Overall, I think youtube has probably been the most helpful source for us, so far.  And this lovely forum, of course.

broadsword

That looks like a fun layout , all you need are some scenic items , station,
perhaps a tunnel, some  buildings etc,  and with 4 trains plenty of action,
by the way do you have 4 controllers ? Not sure about the couplers, perhaps
the longest trains should use the outer loops.

railsquid

Quote from: grayn on August 06, 2017, 04:22:28 PM
The only minor downside, from my viewpoint, is couplers.  Our Kato Glacier Express has couplers than just come together and stick, the others need a lot of fiddling.  Being so small, I can not really work out the best way to do it.  I just keep fiddling until they stay connected.

I'm not sure about the RhB EMU in the foreground, but presume the Kato 485 (?) in the background has Kato close couplers, which resemble real-life Scharfenberg ones. They're generally quite easy to put together, provided both cars are on a straight section of track, a gentle but firm shove usually does it. They can be pulled apart quite easily with a similarly gentle but firm pull.

grayn

Quote from: broadsword on August 06, 2017, 04:33:11 PM
That looks like a fun layout , all you need are some scenic items , station,
perhaps a tunnel, some  buildings etc,  and with 4 trains plenty of action,
by the way do you have 4 controllers ? Not sure about the couplers, perhaps
the longest trains should use the outer loops.
yes, we have 4 controllers, I jokingly call the command centre.
We do have the longest train on the outside track.
It actually has 7 cars.

grayn

Quote from: railsquid on August 06, 2017, 04:43:30 PM

I'm not sure about the RhB EMU in the foreground, but presume the Kato 485 (?) in the background has Kato close couplers, which resemble real-life Scharfenberg ones. They're generally quite easy to put together, provided both cars are on a straight section of track, a gentle but firm shove usually does it. They can be pulled apart quite easily with a similarly gentle but firm pull.

You're right, it is the 485 Hibari, or Skylark, as we refer to it.
I wish the couplers worked as you described.
We do use straight track but it always seems to take some minute wiggling to get them to stay together.
Small hassle though, I shouldn't moan really.

Train Waiting

Grayn

:hellosign:

Welcome to the Forum and to the wonderful world of model railways.

You and your wife have made a very good choice - Kato model railway products are of excellent quality and are a true system in that they all work together with minimum fuss.  They also make some truly lovely American-outline models which are great fun.

There is so much pleasure to be had from the hobby and I hope you both thoroughly enjoy yourselves.

With all best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

mattycoops43

Hi There

Keep the pics coming, always good to see how people go about building a layout.

Matt

dannyboy

Hi Grayn and welcome to the forum - pleased to see you going down the Kato route  :thumbsup:. You mentioned something about there being "months" ahead - depending how hooked you and your wife get, you may well find the "months" turning into years  :).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

railsquid

Quote from: grayn on August 06, 2017, 06:47:31 PM
Quote from: railsquid on August 06, 2017, 04:43:30 PM

You're right, it is the 485 Hibari, or Skylark, as we refer to it.
I wish the couplers worked as you described.
We do use straight track but it always seems to take some minute wiggling to get them to stay together.
Small hassle though, I shouldn't moan really.

In that case it's a matter of getting the knack, or you could replace them with Arnold ones (however that would probably open up the gap between cars).

grayn

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice and encouragement.
We've already got a station, park and parking lot, that need assembling and painting.
And we want the rear of the outer track to have a raised section.
I think it's the scenery that may prove the biggest challenge.
Just need to get stuck in.

Cheers to all :thankyousign:

grayn

Quote from: mattycoops43 on August 06, 2017, 07:17:36 PM
Hi There

Keep the pics coming, always good to see how people go about building a layout.

Matt
We've got a new tram, a Kato Portram and a couple of buildings that need painting.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations