Do you still use ... ... ...

Started by Dorsetmike, June 02, 2017, 02:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadsword

Quote from: joe cassidy on June 04, 2017, 10:24:06 AM
Does anyone still use a pressure cooker ?

Argos have quite a few £40-£70, whether anyone still uses them I don't
know, always imagined they would explode and fill the kitchen with
bits of meat and veg.

colpatben

Pens with nibs.
Inkwells.
Blotting paper.
We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

daffy

Pay packets.

Never quite the same just having a new line appear on your bank statement.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

RailGooner

I still use those elasticated metal things one wears around the biceps over a formal shirt.

daffy

Quote from: RailGooner on June 04, 2017, 11:39:24 AM
I still use those elasticated metal things one wears around the biceps over a formal shirt.

I remember both my Dad and Grandfather wearing those, and they were commonplace with some shopkeepers, like butchers, grocers etc.

Help keep your cuffs out of the soup. ;)

Which brings me to one of the nice things I never liked to wear cos I invariably kept catching them on things or painfully pressing them into my wrist : cufflinks. Pretty, stylish and make one look the gent, but impractical for me. :thumbsdown:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

When I was a kid they used to twang them.

Hated them. Moved to belts quick smart.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

broadsword

Quote from: colpatben on June 04, 2017, 10:49:31 AM
Pens with nibs

I still use a fountain pen, mainly because if I try to write
with a ballpoint it looks like hieroglyphics for some reason,
not that I write very much.

PS moneysaving hint, when you pass a bookies go in and
get a handful of those little blue pens.

RailGooner

Quote from: daffy on June 04, 2017, 11:57:05 AM
.. Which brings me to one of the nice things I never liked to wear cos I invariably kept catching them on things or painfully pressing them into my wrist : cufflinks. Pretty, stylish and make one look the gent, but impractical for me. :thumbsdown:

Couldn't wear them everyday. But I do like to dress up for a formal occasion: cufflinks, tie-pin, cummerbund, medals, Dad's old wristwatch (my brother got Pop's old pocket-watch :envy:). 8)

daffy

Quote from: RailGooner on June 04, 2017, 12:31:26 PM

Couldn't wear them everyday. But I do like to dress up for a formal occasion: cufflinks, tie-pin, cummerbund, medals, Dad's old wristwatch (my brother got Pop's old pocket-watch :envy:). 8)

I really like your style RG. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

Quote from: joe cassidy on June 04, 2017, 10:24:06 AM
Does anyone still use a pressure cooker ?

My Mum has used one for years and years, mainly for veg as she, like me, uses a slow cooker for meats.

Cufflinks maketh a man, in my mind. I used to cut the buttons off shirtcuffs and use cufflinks until I started buying shirts with double cuffs. Tres smart :)

Bealman

My one and only encounter with cuff links ever in my life was at me daughter's wedding back in February.

Pain to get on, and I lost one that night anyway, so I diven't think I'll be bothering again  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Tom U

Detatched collars and collar studs.
Enforced requirement during my RAF apprenticeship.
Constant discomfort and the odd sore in the nape of the neck.  What evil contraptions.
Luxury of normal fixed collars when released into the "adult" RAF.

Oh! and the collars were starched into spring steel by the service laundry.

Tom.

Intercity

Typewriters, I remember using one for a school project (we weren't allowed to submit anything unless it was handwritten, needed special permission to submit a paper that was "typed")

The Q

We only use a tea pot when we have guests, I have coffee. We do have a coffee pot but rarely use it.
We do have decanters for Whisky, Port, Etc but if it's just me, I'll select which malt I wish for the occasion from the bottle.
No one in the family takes sugar, too many diabetics in the family. But if we have guests a bowl is provided.
We do use a butter dish.
Jam is served only in a serving dish for guests.
We have and use a pressure cooker.

I use a fountain pen every day, except when ordered to use Biro or pencil, I always have. That is, once I finished with ink pots, ink monitors and dip in the inkwell pens at school.

Only handwritten work was permitted at school, computers at school arrived, once a year in a 38 ton truck to show us the future. You got about 15 minutes run time, having wasted a week of maths lessons on the programme.

A calculator was a mechanical machine at the front of the mathematics class, having work out what your sum was, you got your turn to go to the front of the class, Pull a few levers then wind the handle. Write down the result and return to your seat.
We normally used logarithmic tables.

Type writers were too expensive for the normal family or school, I built my own computer by soldering chips to circuit boards some years after school. Later an expensive, plastic tape printer was added to make it a wordpressor.

I do wear cuff links when fully dressed up with Argyll jacket, kilt, sporran, sgian dubh, waistcoat, suitable club or association  or occasion tie and Pocket watch. With of course highly polished Brogues.

Tradesmen, ( especially delivery drivers) only come to the back door. We live in the countryside,  still nobody comes through the front door except the Vicar or Doctor.

Jimbo

I wear braces, (Trouser suspenders) have done for a few Months now, got sooo fed up keep having to pull me troosers up and tuck myself in every 5 minutes! Wish I'd 'discovered' them sooner, so much more comfortable than a belt for me personally  ;).
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations