Farish / Dapol Collectors clubs ?

Started by Westbury, April 01, 2015, 06:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeDunn

Quote from: DesertHound on April 01, 2015, 08:58:02 PM

Surely they could make it quarterly though, or something similar. Seems a bit harsh taking cash from someone with only a couple of months of the year left, regardless of whether you put it in the terms and conditions.
Don't disagree in the slightest ...

Quote from: DesertHound on April 01, 2015, 09:25:04 PM
To balance up my previous thoughts, a 15% discount doesn't sound bad. So that's on their website.
Brings things close to the 'normal' price we expect from the likes of Hattons, RoS, Hereford Models, and a few others ... so hardly an incentive !

The only incentive there (to me) are 'club only' models - and after my experience with them, I'll do without ...

DesertHound

Quote from: newportnobby on April 01, 2015, 09:53:10 PM
Quote from: DesertHound on April 01, 2015, 09:45:14 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on April 01, 2015, 09:36:51 PM
Given that the Farish website prices are full RRP and that dealers are allowed to offer up to 15% discount for the first 12(?) weeks after release then I can't really see the benefit of being offered that Collector's Club discount :dunce: ???
I also presume that if you bought something through the Collector's Club and it proved to be a lemon you send it back to Barwell?

Good point Mick!

No doubt someone will point out the flaw in my thinking, Dan :uneasy:

As others said Mick, I think it's access to the special releases for club members that is the appeal. I'm not a member of either, since I'm a second-hand man.

Can't see any flaw in your analysis there.

Mike - I'll go along with your line not thinking there (post edited as we posted at the same time).

Maybe I could just add, whilst I'm here, that perhaps those thinking of joining should just try it for a year and see. Who knows, it might appeal to some. If one finds it's not for them, then they needn't renew. I wouldn't wish to tell someone not to join, having never been a member myself. Those who have "been there and done it" so to speak, or more than entitled to give their opinions though.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

austinbob

Quote from: DesertHound on April 01, 2015, 10:02:55 PM

Maybe I could just add, whilst I'm here, that perhaps those thinking of joining should just try it for a year and see. Who knows, it might appeal to some. If one finds it's not for them, then they needn't renew.

Dan
I agree Dan and that's exactly what I've done. If nothing else there is always the anticipation of receiving new information or offers in the post to peruse....
:)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

davidinyork

Quote from: MikeDunn on April 01, 2015, 08:07:46 PM
Quote from: DesertHound on April 01, 2015, 07:48:06 PM
That's shocking behaviour! (On their part).
IIRC, it is stated clearly that the Club runs Jan-Dec

Surely they could make it quarterly though, or something similar. Seems a bit harsh taking cash from someone with only a couple of months of the year left, regardless of whether you put it in the terms and conditions.

Just my opinion.

Dan

I've worked in membership administration (for a charity, but much the same applies) and people signing up for any sort of annual service will expect memberships to run for a year from when they joined. Doing what it sounds like Dapol are doing is a pretty certain method of alienating people so that they won't renew!

There are very few organisations which do this any more, but the reason is normally so that they only have to deal with renewals once a year, rather than on a monthly basis. With even a basic database and the mailmerge function in Word it isn't difficult to run off a few letters once a month, so that excuse doesn't really hold these days.

FeelixTC

Quote from: davidinyork on April 02, 2015, 09:22:48 AM
Quote from: MikeDunn on April 01, 2015, 08:07:46 PM
Quote from: DesertHound on April 01, 2015, 07:48:06 PM
That's shocking behaviour! (On their part).
IIRC, it is stated clearly that the Club runs Jan-Dec

Just my opinion.

Dan

I've worked in membership administration (for a charity, but much the same applies) and people signing up for any sort of annual service will expect memberships to run for a year from when they joined. Doing what it sounds like Dapol are doing is a pretty certain method of alienating people so that they won't renew!

There are very few organisations which do this any more, but the reason is normally so that they only have to deal with renewals once a year, rather than on a monthly basis. With even a basic database and the mailmerge function in Word it isn't difficult to run off a few letters once a month, so that excuse doesn't really hold these days.

apart from HM Gov. who now have a similar scam policy on Road Fund licence

Karhedron

I have joined the Dapol collectors club in the past for the members-only models. The Silver Link and the green class 22 + milk tanker sets were both fantastic and access to them was well worth the cost of membership. However the current offers are of no interest so I have not renewed my membership.

The Farish trips to preserved lines sounds nice but with 3 young children, I don't get to just trundle off at weekends as I have to look after them and take to various activities.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

CarriageShed

Quote from: Westbury on April 01, 2015, 09:13:35 PM

Cheers guys decided to give the Bachmann / Farish one a go and signed up.

One of those SDJR 4F's does look appealing !

Sadly the S&DJR 4F is entirely historically inaccurate. They were all black.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Karhedron on April 02, 2015, 11:16:07 AM

The Farish trips to preserved lines sounds nice but with 3 young children, I don't get to just trundle off at weekends as I have to look after them and take to various activities.

Sadly the missing word in the last sentence may possibly render you liable to arrest, Matt :laugh:

gc4946

Quote from: gc4946 on April 01, 2015, 08:01:11 PM
Another offer from Bachmann/Farish every year for free with their subscription is the chance to visit behind the scenes on a preserved railway, on a privately chartered train, accompanied by a surprise new model announcement, as well as having their display cabinets at the event.

Last year they visited the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, I attended that club event and thought it was great as I saw behind the scenes at Oxenhope, Haworth loco shed and the Vintage Carriages Trust workshop at Ingrow.

I don't know yet where they're heading to this year.

When I went to last year's event on the Worth Valley, they didn't have any Collectors' Club or any Bachmann/Farish returned stock for sale.
Have they sold such stuff when they've visited other railways for similar events (e.g. Bluebell in 2013) in the past?
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Westbury

Quote from: Pete33 on April 02, 2015, 01:03:45 PM
Quote from: Westbury on April 01, 2015, 09:13:35 PM

Cheers guys decided to give the Bachmann / Farish one a go and signed up.

One of those SDJR 4F's does look appealing !

Sadly the S&DJR 4F is entirely historically inaccurate. They were all black.

Doesn't really matter to me if the originals were pink ! I'm not a 'gotta be historically accurate' modeller so is no problem... I just thought the S&DJR 4F was a very nice looking loco and will probably get one ...

austinbob

Quote from: Westbury on April 02, 2015, 05:54:13 PM

Doesn't really matter to me if the originals were pink ! I'm not a 'gotta be historically accurate' modeller so is no problem... I just thought the S&DJR 4F was a very nice looking loco and will probably get one ...
That S&DJR blue was very nice - here's a photo of a 7F at Bishops Lydeard about 10 years ago.
[smg id=23550 type=preview align=center caption="Blue 7F"]
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

I joined both clubs on April 1st  :hmmm: and received Graham Farish collectors club wagon 377-2014K 14T ministry of supply tank wagon yesterday. Very nice it is too.
Still awaiting response from Dapol but I guess it's early days yet.

:beers:

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Maybe Dapol thought your registration was an April Fools Day prank, Bob :hmmm:

austinbob

Quote from: newportnobby on April 11, 2015, 02:57:01 PM
Maybe Dapol thought your registration was an April Fools Day prank, Bob :hmmm:
Yes. I was thinking that. That's why I put the hmmm smiley in my post!!
I do hope I get a response from Dapol soon. I've not had good experience of communication with them to date.
:)

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

From what others have said, replies from Dapol only seem to occur from their Facebook page :unimpressed:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations