BR Sectorisation parcels and short train formations

Started by Danfilm007, November 21, 2014, 08:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danfilm007

Hi guys,

As I am changing my modelling eras (mostly anyway) I am trying to research into some train formations for Sectorisation era for my new layout, mostly being parcels traffic and short passenger coach formations (I know about DMUs :P )

I would be very grateful for any help, I have goggled it and stuggled to find much on it.

Cheers!

red_death

One short one was the Workington/Whitehaven - Huddersfield which finished in 1991 and was 31/47 + BG - TPO - BG. Sometimes there was a second TPO or a courier van.

Cheers, Mike

MJKERR

ScotRail tended use fixed formations for the vast majority of their regional services
TSO-TSO-BSO-TSO-TSO

There was also one set for the Aberdeen - Montrose service
BSO-TSO
This was then replaced by a Class 156, but with the Class 158 introduction the service was suspended (due to lack of rolling stock)

When Class 158 units finally took over, RES introduced a number of business day parcel trains
The Aberdeen service varied between 4 and 6 coaches

joe cassidy

Don't know if Speedlink is your era but there's a nice article about Speedlink formations (short trains) on pages 46 to 49 of the October issue of "British Railway Modelling".

Best regards,

Joe

SD35

One of my favourite short parcels trains was the Wednesdays only Carlisle - Preston and return which brought a class 26 down to Lancashire.  It was usually 3 x GUV/BG.

Here's a couple of links to photos:

http://www.trackbasher-photos.co.uk/1989/i-5h8VTRb

http://www.trackbasher-photos.co.uk/1989/i-wLJTd3N

Danfilm007

Thanks guys!  :NGF:

Quote from: mjkerr on November 22, 2014, 12:53:35 AM
ScotRail tended use fixed formations for the vast majority of their regional services
TSO-TSO-BSO-TSO-TSO

There was also one set for the Aberdeen - Montrose service
BSO-TSO

What was the loco in front? If not a 47?

Buzzard

In their "Modellers guide to" series of articles Rail Express Modeller did two bits about sectorisation parcels trains.  The magazines were the March 2009 and March 2011 editions.

I don't have them to hand at the moment but they're well worth looking out for as they would give sample formations.

Nigel

MJKERR

Quote from: Danfilm007 on November 22, 2014, 08:32:52 AMWhat was the loco in front? If not a 47?
Normally it was the same Class 47 loco as used on the sleeper
In the final year it was any loco that was available, and included a Class 37/0 on a few occasions

Danfilm007

Alright, cheers! Gives me a chance for Rule 1...  :smiley-laughing:

d-a-n

The books BR Blue nos 5 and 6 by John Deadman are very useful for this sort of thing.

For example, it shows:

Large logo 47 with a BG and a GUV in 1989

Blue 47 with GUV, GUV, BG, GUV, GUV in 1986

Plus lots of detailed passenger formations of Mk1, 2 and 3 carriages.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations