Star Trek is back!

Started by Adam1701D, September 25, 2017, 11:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Railwaygun

It's Star Trek Jim, but not as we know it!

Torrents are your friend + a good VPN.
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

bandwagon

Karhedron

Quote from: bandwagon on September 25, 2017, 02:59:03 PM
I loved Voyager.

To each their own. I liked the premise but found the execution disappointing and the characters uninteresting.

Also it featured some of the worst abuses of physics in the show's history (which is saying something for Star Trek). I think the worst example was when the ship escaped from a Black Hole (impossible) by finding the hole they made in the event horizon on their way in.  :confused1:

I hope Brannon Bragga is careful no to break any contour lines when he is driving.  :laugh:
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

MalcolmInN

Quote from: broadsword on September 25, 2017, 01:22:59 PM
The original series is on freeview channel 70 usually 2-3
episodes a day.
oh ! I didnt know that ! so many channels to keep track of ! Thanks for the heads-up.
I see that Voyager is on later today as well, Voyager started well but went rapidly downhill.
My fav. was tngenaration (and the original of course), saw a few episodes of DS9 and Babylon, didnt impress me but sounds like from what y'all are saying I should have persisted !

If the Klingons are now sub-titled I'll not be impressed with that either, too busy reaching for my glasses to enjoy the pics/plot :(

Karhedron

Quote from: MalcolmAL on September 25, 2017, 03:41:47 PMBabylon, didnt impress me but sounds like from what y'all are saying I should have persisted !

Definitely. Babylon 5 picked up as it went along. In large part this is because we (as viewers) realised during season 2 that what we had been seeing as individual episodes were actually chapters of an ongoing storyline that was actually going somewhere very impressive. Season 2 is where it really starts to pick up steam but several episodes from Season 1 are important because they introduce storylines or characters that are picked up on later.

If you get a chance to see it again on DVD or streaming, I would give it a shot. The entire saga and associated TV movies can be picked up new for less than the price of a new loco (and 2nd hand for the price of a couple of coaches).
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Evans

I was really looking forward to this, as i have to admit i love star trek, but as its on Netflix i have to decide whether i really want another subscription to go with sky (currently watching through voyager on SYFY). May just have to wait until the series finishes then subscribe for a month and go on a star trek binge, sadly just like i did for the grand tour on Amazon prime.
So the big question is can i wait that long? Time to ponder...
Chris

Zogbert Splod

"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

MJKERR

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on September 25, 2017, 12:22:08 PM
You don't need a TV licence to watch Netflix, although you do need to pay!
The only option I appear to have is Digital TV, and I do not pay for any TV providers

MJKERR

Quote from: Karhedron on September 25, 2017, 01:45:39 PMI really enjoyed the revived Battlestar Galactica, even if some of the twists were obviously added late in the day rather than planned in advance.
Yet another series (including Caprica) that was cancelled part way through the story, and one reason I stopped watching TV
It seemed to be all the rage for a few years!

broadsword

Does anyone recall which series had Wilfred Hyde-White  in it ?
Flying round the universe in an old cardy.

NeMo

Quote from: Karhedron on September 25, 2017, 03:59:18 PM
Definitely. Babylon 5 picked up as it went along. In large part this is because we (as viewers) realised during season 2 that what we had been seeing as individual episodes were actually chapters of an ongoing storyline that was actually going somewhere very impressive.

Couldn't agree more. Season 1 is weak (for the most part) and Season 5 is very uneven (certainly some excellent episodes, but some much less impressive ones). But Seasons 2-4 are solid. If you accept the acting is somewhat wooden, and the special effects are dated, there's still a lot there to enjoy.

It's probably the best example of a show that doesn't simply use 'story arcs' as a way of stringing viewers through a full season just to see what happens. Instead there's a real story with a beginning, middle, and end. By the end of Season 4 you really have been through something that feels like a novel.

The reimagined 'Battlestar Galactica' is an example of a show that used arcs poorly. I think is started well, offering up the idea that the "Cylons have a plan". It turned out they didn't, unless 'kill all humans' is a plan!

Personally, I didn't really mind the idea that God was behind the humans surviving and in some degree mixing with the Cylons, so that modern humans (us) would contain both human and Cylon DNA. After all, 'Lord of the Rings' basically boils down to God works in mysterious ways -- Frodo failed, and couldn't have succeeded anyway; there's only a happy ending because God had ensured Gollum was there to bite Frodo's finger off, in the process of which said Gollum tumbles in the lava, destroying himself and the One Ring. It works because of this plan to work, Frodo had to be heroic, for example, not killing Gollum when he had the chance.

What felt clunky about the 'Galactica' version of this was that it felt so forced and unoriginal. Tolkien had done it well, C S Lewis had also done it well with Aslan and co.; the 'Galactica' version boiled down to "well, the last 4 seasons were all set-up by God, so none of it mattered, and those invisible head people were angels, and it'll all work out for the best now... or will it?!"

Cheers, NeMo

Quote from: broadsword on September 25, 2017, 05:31:07 PM
Does anyone recall which series had Wilfred Hyde-White  in it ?
Flying round the universe in an old cardy.

While he was in the pilot movie version of 'Battlestar Galactica' in the late 70s, he was also in Season 2 of 'Buck Rogers' on some sort of explorer ship. He did indeed wear a knitted cardigan there!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

broadsword

Thanks for info, old codger should have been in his London club
drinking G&Ts instead of whizzing across the Universe !

Nick

I'd recommend any SF fan with a Netflix sub to take a look at The Expanse. The second series has recently been made available.

Plays fast and loose with gravity on board spacecraft and in the asteroid belt (but think of the special effects and choreography budgets otherwise) and with transit times in the solar system, but otherwise very good, IMHO. Not a warp drive or a phaser in sight. (Not that that will stop me watching ST:Discovery as soon as poss.  :D
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

ChrisWV10

Much preferred Voyager over DS9. To me it went back to the premise of the original series seeking out new worlds and new civilisations albeit in the delta quadrant. DS9 was just Coronation St in space :thumbsdown: :P

Think I might cancel my NowTV sub, now that Game of Thrones has ended and give Netflix another go and check out this new Star Trek story. (I don't count Enterprise, it was :sick2: )

C.  :D

Evans

:smiley-laughing: i never thought of DS9 as Coronation Street in space lol but thats so true. Still watched it tho, but i have to agree voyager was my favorite.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations