1966 Road Junction Markings

Started by geoffgil, October 31, 2018, 10:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geoffgil

I am building my first N gauge railway, and a question which I cannot seem to find on the Internet. That is my layout is being built to c1966-67 era. Now my question is about road markings. I gather the warboys  signs where gradually being introduced at this time, but what were the major junction line markings i.e. were they solid or dotted and was the warning triangle on the road, like there is today?
Any help from members would be appreciated

Bealman

G'day from Australia, geoffgill, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

You're stretching me memory now, but I'm pretty certain there were no triangles on the road in those days.  :beers:

In fact, I recall "Major road ahead" and a dead stop at the dotted line.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Snowwolflair

Look in second hand book shops and flea markets for a copy of the Highway code from the date range you want.  As I recall they used photographs to illustrate.

daffy

Hi Geoff, and welcome to the NGF! :thumbsup:

This topic rang a bell, so I did a quick search on the Forum and came across this thread from last year that has a few details and links you might like to follow up on:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36227.msg425521#msg425521
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

I also recall a schoolboy joke of my era: a book, "The Crossroads" by Major Roadahead.

:D :sorrysign:

geoffgil

thanks for all of that. I have checked some of the links & posts out. And think I have a better idea. Trouble is I think there was a lot of changes in the era what with the gradual changeover to warboys signs and the new idea to beat all traffic jams i.e. The Motorway
So I do not think there is a definitive right or wrong way. :thankyousign:

stevewalker

Quote from: Snowwolflair on October 31, 2018, 10:39:57 AM
Look in second hand book shops and flea markets for a copy of the Highway code from the date range you want.  As I recall they used photographs to illustrate.

From what I can see, the Highway code was revised in 1959 and not again until 1968. The "new" signs appear in the 1968 edition.

The 1959 edition can be found at http://normandyhistorians.co.uk/hwc/1959hwc/index.html

daffy

Quote from: geoffgil on October 31, 2018, 04:25:50 PM
So I do not think there is a definitive right or wrong way. :thankyousign:

There was a right way when I took the test and passed my Cycling Proficiency and got the little enamelled triangular badge in 1966, but I'm darned if I can remember what it was!  :doh:

But back then we young cyclists were supposed to have lights, mudguards, a bell, got told off for riding on the pavement, and minded our road manners, sometimes. ;)

Progress, eh. :(

Glad the info was helpful for you Geoff.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

kesdrive

It is correct that  road signs and markings took time to be updated during the 1960's.
As a retired driving instructor I can clarify the triangles on the road.
The triangle painted on the road is used  in conjunction with a give way sign at the junction which indicates a closed junction (restricted visibility but not severe enough to be STOP junction). There will also be double white dotted lines at the junction.
Most junctions have just double white lines which by themselves mean give way and as such no additional sign is needed.
You will notice a mix of both types of junction in your own local area.
So it will be prototypical just to have double white lines at junction.
The 'halt at major road ahead' sign is the forerunner of the STOP sign seen today, and could also be used in the mid sixties.
Hope this helps.

Chris

Stuart Down Under

My recollection is that the predecessor to "Give Way", still around in the 1960s was "Slow Major Road Ahead". Similar to the stop sign, with the circle and triangle symbol on top, but rectangular, rather than "Tee" shaped. We emigrated in 1964, but I don't recall any give way triangles up to that date. Sadly, I cannot find my Cycling Proficiency Certificate".

I have both Slow and Stop signs in N scale, purchased many years ago from "Tiny Signs".

8)

geoffgil

Thanks for everybodys help on this. I have found a copy of the 1968 highway code, which has the road markings I originally asked about. It seems if you are building model roads around c1966 you can have a mix of road signs and markings i.e. between 1965 and 1968 was a transition period, as they could not have been altered in one instant. I presume everything was complete when the 1968 highway code was published.
:NGaugersRule:

Bealman

You're jogging me memory now.  :thumbsup:

The transition did indeed take a few years.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!   :beers:

geoffgil

Its surprising how certain things jog your memory. I was driving through this period, the transition so slow that you hardly notice it.
I cannot remember how we were able to interpret the new signs without a Highway Code to help.
I suppose we just used common sense!!!!! :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations